1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News from Canada

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Tom Kindlon, Jan 24, 2021.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean, Wyva, alktipping and 1 other person like this.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Canada isn't tracking adverse reactions to the covid vaccines either.

Midnattsol, Sean and alktipping like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Postdoctoral Fellow in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    https://www.postdocs.ubc.ca/ad/55856

TigerLilea, Lilas and Trish like this.
  4. rvallee

Hutan, Lilas and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    Hutan, alktipping, Midnattsol and 4 others like this.
  6. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The AQEM (Quebec Association for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) announces on its website :

" Please note that the Quebec Ombudsman has decided to open a collective main file concerning the lack of adequate health and social services for people with myalgic encephalomyelitis. We will try to participate as actively as possible in this
    investigation in order to properly expose the impact of this lack of services on PWME across Quebec." * link

This is interesting news for the defense of the rights of pwme in the Province because :

" Le Protecteur du citoyen has been Quebec's ombudsman since 1969. Independent and impartial, it does not report to the Quebec government. It reports to the National Assembly." (Equivalent to House of Commons)

Its mission is to :
    1. See to it that citizens’ rights are upheld when citizens interact with Québec public services.
    2. See to the integrity of public services and be part of the action to improve them.
    https://protecteurducitoyen.qc.ca/fr/a-propos/roles-et-mandats

* Underlined and in bold by me, translated from French

Hutan, alktipping, Milo and 6 others like this.
  7. Mij

Hutan, Louie41, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  8. rvallee

I am annoyed by this framing of "disaster is looming". It whitewashes the last 2 years (and the many decades before) and minimizes the current level, only making it a real problem if it becomes so large that everyone knows someone disabled permanently, or experiences it themselves.

What horrible messaging we are seeing all over the place, completely minimizes quality of life and basic ability to function, which indirectly affects survival because of systemic denial and neglect, making everything about either life or death or a problem that can only be acknowledged if and once it becomes so large it massively affects our entire civilization.

This is not what's expected of experts. The failure here is staggering.

Louie41, Wonko, Missense and 7 others like this.
  9. Mij

A team of researchers based at five centres across Ontario have zeroed in on a microscopic abnormality in the way oxygen moves from the lungs and into the blood vessels of long COVID patients in their trial.

This abnormality could explain why these patients feel breathless and are unable to perform strenuous activities, says lead researcher Grace Parraga, Tier 1 Canada research chair in lung imaging at Western University’s Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry.

“Those feelings of breathlessness are completely consistent with our finding that we’re not moving the oxygen as efficiently as we should,” she said.

Red blood cells are responsible for transporting oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body. Any disruption in the flow of this oxygen to red blood cells will trigger the brain to say, ‘breathe more’ — resulting in a feeling of breathlessness, Parraga explained.

All 34 of the patients who participated in the study were experiencing problems in the level of oxygen being absorbed by their red blood cells.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8950820/long-covid-canadian-researchers-causes-study/

Hutan, Helene, Lilas and 3 others like this.
  10. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting @Mij
    This article has a bit more detail on the study methods.

"Using a functional MRI where patients inhale xenon gas, researchers can see in real-time what it is happening inside the lungs. Preliminary results show symptoms are related to microscopic abnormalities that affect how oxygen is exchanged from the lungs to red blood cells.

Having participants inhale the gas while being scanned by the MRI allowed researchers to see how the 500 million air sacs in the lungs deliver oxygen to the blood. In the case of long-COVID patients, the transition of the oxygen was depressed compared to healthy volunteers."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/lond...ging-research-at-western-university-1.6504318

Mod note: The research thread on four papers relating to this work is here
    Persistent 129Xe MRI Pulmonary and CT Vascular abnormalities in ... [PACS] , 2022, Parraga, Matheson (and related papers by Grist, Wild)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2022
  11. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is the help sheet (produced by INESSS*) for the management of
    post-covid-19 conditions on fatigue and PEM, for health professionals in Quebec (Province of Canada). The information even mentions ME :
    https://www.inesss.qc.ca/fileadmin/doc/INESSS/COVID-19/Fiche_Covid_Fatigue_2022VF.pdf

“ Post-exertional malaise is a cardinal manifestation of myalgic encephalomyelitis. This condition shares similarities with some clinical aspects of post-COVID-19 conditions; however, uncertainties regarding the pathophysiology of each of these
    conditions make their bond uncertain."

This fact sheet is quite detailed, explains PEM, talks about an exertion threshold (accumulation) that triggers it, lists its possible and many signs and symptoms that arise or worsen, and mentions orthostatic intolerance. As far as the intervention is concerned, these are energy management strategies that are recommended (pacing) :

Concrete examples are given to illustrate each item (having groceries delivered, favoring a seated or half-lying position when possible, limiting stimuli, using a wheelchair, a disabled parking permit, obtaining household help, etc.) I can not publish more because there are tables and these are in French. (All excerpts are a translation).

* Institut national d'excellence en santé et en services sociaux

Note: PEM is really quoted in the plural - " les malaises post-effort "

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    ahimsa, alktipping, Mij and 4 others like this.
  12. rvallee

I posted it a few times before but INESSS published a report about a decade ago detailing the horrible state of neglect for pwME in Quebec. It was quite good, allowed the patients' own testimonies to speak for themselves in many places. It had the usual conclusions about how bad this is and basic recommendations, which are basically the same as what's being done for LC.

Nothing happened from it however. And even though it's massively relevant here, it's down the memory hole. It's sad to see how true this is, but just as in anything else, medicine is not special about this, the truth is irrelevant if it's not acknowledged. If people want comforting lies, even medical authorities, they will reject the truth and punish those who speak it. If people aren't willing to accept facts, they just don't. It's just as true in healthcare as anywhere else.

Even worse is that this truth is, of course, not accepted, and therefore only "true", not True. Truthiness rules, everywhere, until it doesn't. Very little matters in-between, even millions of lives, as we can plainly see. This is why we don't have nice things. Hell is other people.

Wonko, ahimsa, Milo and 5 others like this.
  13. Mij

A friend of mine called an ambulance last week, severe kidney pain, almost fainted, no ambulance showed up after an hour and a half- 'code zero', in other words you're on your own. Wife drove him to the emergency and he waited 7 hrs to see a doctor. Diagnosed with a kidney stone.

Shortage of family doctors in Canada so patients are going to the Emergency for care.

14. TigerLilea

My GP is retiring in the next four to 10 months. She has tried every avenue she can think of to find a doctor to buy her practice but so far she hasn't found anyone. There are approximately 900,000 people in BC alone without a family doctor and it looks like I'm going to be one of those people very soon. My aunt lives in small town NS and her town's only GP retired in April and now they have no one to go to.

15. rvallee

We would need to double the number of physicians and nurses to provide even basic adequate care. About 20% of our population doesn't have a GP and our entire system runs through GPs. And I technically have a GP, but that's another issue with discriminated diseases. My parents didn't have a GP for years because their GP, who was my GP and fired me when I got ill, retired and they don't bother with their patient list, they're on their own. My father is 75. Didn't have a GP for I think 3 years. Canadian healthcare has gotten incredibly dysfunctional.

But that would mean lower salaries so it's not happening. So instead it will basically be ongoing degradation of services until medical AIs completely transform the profession. Ironic, that a human problem will be solved by technology, not even because that problem is too hard, it's just dumb old human nature. But there is no human solution here, the system is paralyzed.

And all that was just as true before the pandemic. It's only gotten worse since, but it was already crumbling under its own weight.

16. Mij

My GP of 36 years retired last October and I'm very grateful she found a replacement. Having a GP in Canada is golden now.

I heard about a group of nurses from Québec who left their jobs and went to work in S. California.

Hutan, alktipping, Lilas and 2 others like this.
  17. TigerLilea

The biggest problem with getting new doctors to work in BC as a GP in a family practice is that they only get paid $31 per average visit with a patient. So if a patient's visit runs longer and takes, say, 30 minutes of the doctor's time, the doctor still only gets paid $31.00 for the half hour. If the gov't wants to fix the problem, they need to start paying GPs a salary and do away with paying per patient per visit.

Hutan, alktipping, Lilas and 2 others like this.
  18. Mij

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2022
    Hutan, alktipping, Sean and 3 others like this.
  19. Mij

20. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[There's probably not a lot of point in making a new thread for this.]

McMaster Uni is recruiting on Reddit for a 'CFS study':

Screenshot 2.png

Further information on the study:

As pointed out by a commenter on Reddit:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    Hutan, Dolphin, Mij and 3 others like this.