News from Cochrane

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Kalliope, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am sorry to hear this how terrifying!
    How is your son doing now?

I’m just astounded at the hypocrisy of claims made to be saving us from harm through commitment to evidence, at the beginning.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

In the list of people awarded emeritus membership of Cochrane in 2023, a couple of familiar names:
    Paul Garner
    Hilda Bastian

From the minutes of the Governing Board, August/Sept 2023
    https://community.cochrane.org/orga...e/governing-board/meetings/agenda-and-minutes

https://community.cochrane.org/site...23_09_01_restricted access_final draft OA.pdf

bobbler, Ariel, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  3. Trish

I've now found the page on the Cochrane website with all their Emeritus and Lifetime members listed and a bit about each emeritus member:
    https://www.cochrane.org/news/cochr...mbers:,standing commitment to Cochrane's work.

Lou B Lou, Nellie, Ariel and 4 others like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He still seems to be doing his best to follow its trajectory. He's going to need a submersible to dive deep enough soon.

Binkie4, MEMarge, obeat and 3 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paul has made a truly extraordinary contribution to Cochrane.

Indeed, more than anyone else he has blown their cover.

He should be should get the Toto Medal - for image.jpeg revealing the Wizard for what he was.

6. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hilda has always maintained she is not and never will be a member of Cochrane whilst they fail to make all their content open access. She left Cochrane over this issue I believe, despite being a founder member. So she should have rejected the membership, as Rob Scholten did. I wonder why he did that. I have met RS a few times (he was the director of Cochrane Netherlands since the beginning of Cochrane, and he seemed very sensible to me. Very interested in patient involvement as far as I remember). I may have tried to get him interested in this at some point, as I did with Peter Gotzsche, who got kicked out of Cochrane, and Jos Verbeek, another person from the Netherlands, who was head of Cochrane Work (review group). I suggested Cochrane Work would be the best review group to manage a review of treatments for ME, as the ability to work or participate in education is such a key and objectively measurable outcome for people with ME. I did suggest that at some point certainly to Jos,, and maybe also to Hilda.

Kitty, Sly Saint, Trish and 11 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like Cochrane highly approves of Garner's method of evidence synthesis consisting of "my personal anecdote proves it beyond any doubt, and we should promote positive anecdotes and silence negative anecdotes about mind-brain-body-spiritual conjoinship healing, and also healing hands and neurolinguistic programming should get money shoveled at it while biomedical research that debunks it should be shut down".

It's impossible that they don't know of it, if you look at his twitter feed it's been an obsession for the last 3.5 years. Most of his posts since then are about this, and his only published work in that time, the Cochrane review on the triple therapy for microclots, wasn't even needed or made sense. In fact it makes a mockery of evidence-based medicine since there hasn't even been a single clinical trial of it yet, and the entire "evidence pyramid" of EBM depends on trials to make systematic reviews. It was, in effect, a review about nothing, highly motivated by politics, ideology and personal obsession, and he used his status at Cochrane to promote it.

Cochrane thinks that only promoting personal and other people's positive anecdotes of wishful thinking healing while silencing a far greater number of negative and neutral reports is good evidence synthesis, is the most Cochrane thing ever. Cochrane is to the original concept of evidence-based medicine what North Korea is to a democratic republic.

Sean, Trish, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  8. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, Paul likes diving! Seem to remember him going on a diving trip/ conference, one whilst 'oh so compromised post (long) covid'.... :eek:

obeat, Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

bobbler, Amw66, NelliePledge and 9 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For people who work in glass houses, they sure do love to throw stones.

Kirsten, obeat, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Boulders even

12. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2024
    Binkie4, Kalliope and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. Trish

Good riddance!

This major cut in funding for Cochrane was the reason for the big reorganisation of Cochrane over the last few years, and the main excuse we were given for work stopping on the new Exercise for ME/CFS review.

I think having announced the new review process as a priority and only getting away with publishing the 2019 Larun review on the basis that it would soon be replaced, Cochrane had an obligation to continue to give it priority. Instead they abandoned it. And from Hilda's latest reply on her talk page, it still isn't regarded as a priority by Cochrane leaders.

A professional organisation that is forced to downsize should stick by its current commitments first before starting up new ones. Cochrane has published lots of other reviews in the intervening 4+ years. They could have stood aside from doing any Covid reviews - it was too early for most of them to show anything useful anyway and lots of other organisations were focused on Covid.