News from Doctors with ME

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Wyva, Jun 29, 2021.

1. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One thing that bothers me is that they refer to
    "• Correct diagnosis – nutritional failure secondary to ME / Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS) / dysautonomia affecting the GI tract."
    I'm hoping that post GWAS there'll be some leads re the underlying cause of ME/CFS but at this point in time we cannot e.g. state "Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS)"
    Stuff like MCAS seems to be interpreted (by many Doctors) as a euphemism --- for "functional disorder" or whatever.
    Otherwise I though it was useful.

obeat, RedFox, bobbler and 2 others like this.
  2. FMMM1

Following the trade union analogy (which I agree with) I think there's reason to believe that the Royal College's stance was basically reflecting vested interests. A small group of influential vested members are opposed --- others (like GPs) are concerned that they'll no longer have an easy out (in the 10 minutes or whatever a GP provides/gets paid for) --- so the Royal College's stance reflects those vested interests.
    I do wonder if other members of the Royal College's don't actually fall into one of those self interested groups --- since they aren't interested, of course, they've no need to be informed/proactive---

Maybe getting that group, who don't have a vested interest, involved would be a way to get a more objective stance from the Royal College's. Others have pointed out that Covid may be a way in --- Doctors are/have been in the front line and those who became ill/can no longer work are basically left to fend for themselves. So Doctors 4 ME might have a target audience/sympathetic audience within the Royal College's.

Rambling thoughts!

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presumably the same vested interests still exist tho - with a proven ability to manipulate the policies regarding pwME of the royal colleges?

Unless these malign actors have been disproportionately impacted by LC, then I don't see how LC changes much.

4. FMMM1

Yea I think inertia, i.e. from the rational/non-vested interests, may be a barrier - but Doctors 4 ME should have a go --- particularly on behalf of those Doctors who are no longer able to work ---.

5. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've gone round the same circle of pros (or being really 'bright side') and cons (remembering what the guideline took and guarding against filibustering/running down the clock) too.

I think one thing we can say is that this as a document has brought up the right questions and moved us onto the how part. *EDIT which might include the point about evidence/analysis that needs to be behind the examples for buy-in

Could this memory [of the guideline/round table stuff] be insightful and the solution be in part a Dame Carol Black equivalent, even just in a 'imagine you will be giving your answers to/in front of..' sense?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

has anyone any recent news about DWME? nothing on twitter since Oct 2022.

Ariel, Binkie4 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Nothing new on their website that I can see since October 2022.
    I suspect ill health has impeded any further progress.

obeat, Ariel, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.