1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NHS Health at Work website

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

bobbler, Trish, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  2. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh yes, I am aware of this. It's woefully outdated. But thanks for reminding me.

3. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Actually the following looks like quite an important historical document to save: https://www.nhshealthatwork.co.uk/images/library/files/Clinical excellence/CFS_full_guideline.pdf

Worth noting the individuals who were involved in putting this together.

All the cliches we know of historically in suggesting worse outcomes are associated with rest, support groups, accessing financial support

The section on 'history of the condition' is also a bit of a wow in narrative-sewing as it begins by stating that the condition was first discovered as 'neurasthenia' then states 'later on terms that suggested biological like EBV, ME etc'. And covers all the cliches on what doctors think of ME as a term (unproven), and is very much sewing the proposal that all these various things like fibro, IBS, all lie under this 'MUS' term simply because there is overlap (and of course all of this is under that heading of being under that 'what used to be known as neurasthenia' opening gambit).

Reference [10] is: 10. Sharpe M. Chronic fatigue syndrome. Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry 1996, 19(3):549–573.

Reference [11] is: 11. Hudson JI, Goldenberg DL, Pope HGJ et al. Comorbidity of fibromyalgia with medical and psychiatric disorders. American Journal of Medicine 1992, 924)363–367.

Page 23 is an interesting note - they added in a search for neuresthenia.

I don't know on page 22 whether the databases searched is a complete list or any might have been added. But on page 26 there seem to be some 'limitations' that need to be unbundled e.g. what is the 'grey literature'?

Note the two external assessors were White and Sharpe

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    Sean, livinglighter, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  4. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For those looking for recovery references the following para and reference might be worth a read (I haven't done so in detail due to energy but it seems to have potential):

ref [46] is: 46. Cairns R, Hotopf M. A systematic review describing the prognosis of chronic fatigue syndrome. Occupational Medicine 2005, 551)20–31.

ref [47] is: 47. Nisenbaum R, Jones JF, Unger ER, Reyes M, Reeves WC. A population-based study of the clinical course of chronic fatigue syndrome. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes 2003, 11)49–57.

A quick glance at this last one is quite interesting, worth a read by someone when less tired. I can't make my mind up on it from a glance but it for example has a different set of measures to many papers we see. There is discussion of asking about fatigue between clinic visits and the results suggests symptoms were also logged. One is 'Wellness scores, hours spent on activities and sleep during the past month', the other
    a different fatigue scale (which includes reaction to things like hot and cold):

ref[9] is: Schwartz JE, Jandorf L, Krupp LB. The measurement of fatigue: a new instrument. Psychosomatic Res. 1993;37:753–762. doi: 10.1016/0022-3999(93)90104-N. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

re updating it, they say:

Review Date: 2011

And:

Perhaps the poor results from PACE reduced enthusiasm for an update?

Ira Madan does not seem a great person for us. There are still traces of her discussions around these guidelines on the internet, and I think I remember more from a decade ago.

She supervised this (seemingly still unpublished?) review that won an award (from an organisation Madan was on the board of trustees of) in 2019: https://www.fom.ac.uk/clinical-excellence-awards/peter-taylor-award-winner-announced

6. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to note although it's not in the organisation's title, this is an NHS England specific body, made clear in its Constitution.

Certainly there shouldn't be any problem relating any update to NICE 2021, although there is a bureaucratic aspect to consider in that the primary guiding principles come via Occupational health regulations, not from NICE guidance - if anyone has the capacity to chase this up - it might be worth contacting the NHS Unions whose members are primarily on the receiving end of NHS Health at Work guidance.

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Wow that’s some determined overlooking

8. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know MEAction & 25% Group are on this case with DHSC
    I have been petitioning and trying unsuccessfully since 2006!
    Even with Mark Baker at the NICE Engagements event ....:noteworthy::bawling:

9. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Knowing the biomedical research into ME/CFS, I found the document very disturbing to read.

bobbler and EzzieD like this.