NHS Royal Devon University Healthcare ME/CFS service

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Sly Saint, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

updated Feb 9 2023

All the leaflets (all using CFS/ME) appear to have been modified since the new guidelines although the content looks pretty much as before.

eg. Boom and Bust
    I don't recognise this pattern, particularly with relation to sleep. For me the worsening in sleep quality/inability to sleep is as a direct result of over-exertion and not because of sleeping during the day.

I would also question why they are saying that this is the cause that the 'condition will be prolonged'.

https://www.royaldevon.nhs.uk/services/myalgic-encephalomyelitis-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-me-cfs/

Sean, MeSci, oldtimer and 11 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They seem to confuse fatigue for somnolence here. Typical.

Sean, oldtimer, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  3. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So any mention of PEM?

Sean, bobbler, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If my memory is correct Devon and Cornwall are proactive in relation to IAPT and MUS, so I would not have high expectations of their ME services.

Is this one for the MEA to chase up on?

5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The use of the term "Boom and Bust" to describe my activity level, and dare I say many other PwME, is ridiculous.

It makes members of our community sound silly, as if we have no insight into our disease, no wisdom, lived experience, or self control. As if we need help from some misguided practitioner.

RedFox, Sean, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  6. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'Boom and bust' places the cause of continuing illness in the behavior of the patient.

Sean, Hutan, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  7. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There’s never a sodding boom, anyway. It’s a ridiculous way of describing a phone call, or a brief visit from a friend, or loading a dishwasher. What do they think we are doing?

RedFox, Sean, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  8. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So they state on their home page -

But everything e1se in their patient information suggests ME/CFS is mere1y a stress response and can be managed by p1anning and 'budgeting' activities in the same way one might budget a month1y income.

The 'team' seems to consist of just occupationa1 therapists. No home visits, so c1ear1y have no experience of severe ME (and probab1y not moderate either).

There is a serious aspect to this kind of service, beyond being use1ess to the ME patients in the area. That is, they cannot provide any meaningfu1 input to those severe patients who have to be hospita1ised. The Roya1 Devon service was the one that Maeve O'Nei11 was under and it was very distressing, as a PWME, to read what happened to her under their 'care' (as we11 as heartbreaking of course). It was especia11y horrifying to rea1ise how the consu1tants went against the specia1ist advice of Dr Weir (as reported by David Tu11er).

The other thing I don't understand about this service, is that isn't this the NHS Foundation Dr Strain works with as an 'advisor'? How can they continue to be so ignorant about ME/CFS?

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/news/meet-our-new-medical-advisor,-dr-david-strain/

Trish, Sean, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  9. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly, there "ain't no boom!"

Trish, Lou B Lou, Sean and 4 others like this.