NHS treatments for people who get covid...?

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by josepdelafuente, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry that you weren't approved @josepdelafuente. My impression is that this is moreorless a tick box exercise. I was told by my GP that it was nothing to do with them and that St. george's ( our local covid centre hospital) would decide.
    Somewhere along the way I picked up that there was a list of designated conditions that were approved for paxlovid and that if you didn't have one of these, then no vaccine.
    I don't think many people in the UK have been prescribed it.
    Have you thought of trying ME Association for advice?

2. josepdelafuente

josepdelafuente Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah yea Guy's & St Thomas for me I think. Yea the situation seems to be as you describe. The doctor I spoke definitely sounded like he was grappling with something, metaphorically, and he didn't really sound like he was 100% behind his decision (I explained that I have ME that predates the covid, and that the first covid infection made the ME worse etc), and he sounded very sympathetic and like he understood my concern about the ME getting worse again etc..
    I hadn't thought of trying the ME association... I can find out for myself but do you know already if this is something they're engaging in? (I suppose I mean specifically advocating for ME sufferers to be prescribed paxlovid if they have new covid infections)

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RedFox, Lilas, hibiscuswahine and 4 others like this.
  4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@josepdelafuente

I don't know what MEA are doing re paxlovid. I do know that Charles Shepherd was involved in trying to get flu vaccines for people with ME ( not on the list). Worth contacting.

edit:https://meassociation.org.uk/

There is a helpline which is open 7-9pm as well as other times.

5. josepdelafuente

Cool, I might give them a ring later (if my voice holds out!) just for an informal chat about the whole paxlovid / ME / NHS situation..

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I hope things improve soon for you, Joseph. I think it's probably worth keeping records of your symptoms, and anything you have equipment to measure like resting heart rate, how much heart rate rises if you get up, temperature, oxygen levels with a finger pulse oximeter. Any unhealthy looking data might help if you try again to get paxlovid or need to ask for any other medical help.

7. josepdelafuente

Good idea! Also hadn't thought of that. I don't have any of the stuff but it looks like I can get it online and have it delivered tomorrow.
    It looks like a thermometer and finger pulse oximeter would cover temperature, heart rate and blood oxygen... any other useful bits of kit for this sort of thing?

8. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

because they think ME/CFS is a mental health condition. The official line is that they recognise it as being neurological - they have to say that because the uk is signed up to be in line with the WHO which defines it as neurological. So the official line is that its neuro. But what the british medical establishment say & what they do are very different. Its like the old saying - 'What they do speaks so loud you cant hear what they say'. A bit like an abusive partner who says 'i love you' while punching you.

Throughout the pandemic they made it very clear (apart from the very rare & odd enlightened GP)that they do not see ME as being in any way a 'pre existing health condition', let alone a serious one putting us at risk of serious health outcomes. And if they knew how bad very severe ME was they would know that its a great deal worse than dying anyway. I was, still am terrified of ending up very severe, if i thought it would kill me i wouldnt be scared at all!

We were excluded from vulnerable status for the vaccine roll out, for shielding & priority supermarket deliveries (which was a total nightmare for those of us who're housebound) & basically abondoned to our fate. To be honest i am surprised that they were so sympathetic re the paxlovid, i would have expected them to dismiss it... with prejudice.

i'd say @josepdelafuente was 'lucky' not to be sneered at, i dont know of anyone with ME who has been given it, even bedbound very severe. And i do know a few people who were pretty much laughed at by their GPs when they asked to be classed as vulnerable for the vaccine

I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but thats the state of play in my experience. disgusting, but there we are.

Arnie Pye, Mij, Binkie4 and 8 others like this.
  9. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree @JemPD

I cannot prove that it is the reason, but it's the ongoing theme of how health professionals view ME/CFS and of course we are hypochondriacs, so they cannot explicitly tell us we have a mental health disorder, that would only make matters worse.

RedFox, Missense, ukxmrv and 4 others like this.
  10. Mij

Yes I understand this, but what does testing + for Covid and then being denied a prescription for Plaxlovid have to do with M.E? Are they selective with who they deny Covid prescriptions for?

Maybe I'm missing something here?

Missense and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  11. josepdelafuente

You've got it - they (the NHS here) are selective with who they deny / approve covid antiviral drugs for...

12. Mij

Isn't that discrimination? Boy, I'd have something to say about this if this happened here :mad:

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think it's more that the list of included conditions is very resticted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-new-covid-19-treatments-a-guide-for-patients

Binkie4, Peter Trewhitt and Mij like this.
  14. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes its given only to those on a list. Those included are only those who they think "really need" it. ie people who are immunocompromised or are otherwise at high risk of serious complications from covid.
    Treatments for coronavirus (COVID-19) - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

Binkie4 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. Mij

Ok, thanks for explaining.

I will go back to my original question to @josepdelafuente. How do they know for sure who will develop acute Covid symptoms? Do they have a crystal ball? It's my understanding from reading tweets from critical care nurses, emergency room doctors et that anyone can develop severe acute symptoms and they are advising people to stop assuming that having comorbidities is the only high risk group. They work in the hospitals and treat the actual patients.

16. Mij

Now I'm beginning to wonder if they only prescribe Plavlovid to certain groups in Canada too?

Binkie4 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. josepdelafuente

You're right - obviously they can't predict the future and they can't "know", it seems the people making these systems haven't understood what you lay out above, and are coming at it from the angle of statistics / probability (mistakenly, by the sound of it).
    I'm assuming they ask the screening questions (I've remembered a bit more of what they asked me since yesterday, luckily my symptoms have already improved quite a bit since yesterday), and if the answers sound like someone who is "less likely" to have severe acute covid then they don't get the drugs... And if they're wrong, they're wrong and that's obviously terrible for the person who goes on to develop the severe acute covid, but I'm assuming it just comes back to something to do with finances, and there not being the resources to just give the drugs to everyone who tests positive..

Some of the other questions I was asked by the 4 different NHS staff who I spoke to (two doctors, a "clinical lead" and a "medicine distribution centre assessor (I think!)", were:
    "are you having trouble breathing?" (I wasn't),
    "can you hold both arms above your head for some amount of time" (I can't remember how long, and I could),
    "can you put your chin against your chest?" (I could),
    "do you know who you are and where you are?" (yes),
    "is there anyone else in the house" (yes, my housemate)
    "do you have a high temperature?" (yes, I did)

oh... and the final doctor I spoke to said some things which were a bit confusing / contradictory... when I mentioned M.E and said that there's no treatment, they said "not yet, but there is research happening!", which took me by surprise a little (that they said that), but then they also recommended I should do some bits of exercise to prevent this covid infection being even worse (?!), and then immediately afterwards they said "but obviously limit the exercise to what is manageable with the M.E"....

Binkie4, Trish, Missense and 2 others like this.
  18. Mij

Thanks for including the list b/c if I ever become ill with a + Covid test, I'm going to answer 'yes' to all those questions asked, whether it's true or not.

My M.E onset 32 years ago was sudden/viral and I was never given any antiviral treatment. I always wondered if I was treated early in the onset if that would have made a difference? I'll never know.

Binkie4, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be fair, I know of no evidence for PWME being more at risk with Covid. Categories like 'immune' or 'neurological' are too vague to be relevant. We don't have any strong theoretical reason to think PWME would be more at risk either. If anything on the theoretical side there is a reasonable argument that PWME are more likely to get an adverse reaction.

So I don't think this need have anything to do with dismissing ME. If I were to make the decision I would not advise PWME that they should take an antiviral any more than anyone else. I don't know the general evidence on Plaxlovid but it is quite likely hyped or still unclear.

FMMM1, Binkie4, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  20. josepdelafuente

Yea... It crossed my mind to do that but I don't necessarily know if answering yes to all those questions would have got me the drugs!