NICE ME/CFS guideline - draft published for consultation - 10th November 2020

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Nov 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I have the pdf if anyone wants it, but it doesn't contain more than what Adam has posted.

2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

According to ME-pedia, the two women are pro GET/CBT, while Michael doesn't have a lot on his page.

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This is getting a bit weird.

Are the CBT-GET people resigning in protest?

I don't know whether to be worried or hopeful. :confused:

4. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd like to see the full article, if that's possible.

5. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

6. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Michael Beadsworth, consultant in infectious diseases in Liverpool is very much BPS
    "Don't be afraid of exercise" is what he said to me.

ETA: Dr Alistair Miller was his boss at the hospital at one time.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  7. InitialConditions

I suspect he's a close colleague of Garner, as both work in infectious diseases at Liverpool.

8. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nice, that dampens my worry significantly.

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have now read the article. It is completely skewed in favour of the BPS narrative, including Paul Garner being quoted. It suggests the committee was swayed by 'qualitative evidence provided by a small number of service users'. It claims the GRADE methodology was used wrongly.

10. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am really angry that the BMJ has consistently taken this line, and so aggressively.

Regardless of outcome, this kind of thing just (intentionally) sows confusion and makes it more difficult for patients and healthcare providers alike. Irresponsible, unethical, petulant behaviour.

11. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps we will be hearing a lot more from them in the upcoming weeks, in that case?

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems the article was written by a freelance journalist often used by BMJ. If an article is going to be so heavily politically loaded you would have thought it better written by the editor. This is presumably a way of keeping the head below the parapet.

13. InitialConditions

She couldn't even get the disease name acronym right.

14. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This feels like good and bad news. On the one hand I assume they wouldn’t be resigning if the Guideline was endorsing CBT and/or GET as safe and effective treatments. So I assume this means the Guideline will remain similar to the draft in warning that GET is neither safe nor effective for ME/CFS and that CBT should not be prescribed as a treatment or cure.

On the other hand, I am disappointed that the committee does not appear to have agreed the new Guideline by unanimous consensus. Perhaps not surprising that people who have spend their careers promoting therapies are reluctant to put their names to a document which says they don’t work and are not safe. But still, it would have been helpful if the BPS enthusiasts on the committee had had the humility and courage to accept that they had got things wrong in the past.

15. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And did the BMJ need to stick a "News" item behind a paywall?

17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That was never going to happen. They are too far gone.

Cut them loose, and leave them behind in the dust of history, I say.

18. Jonathan Edwards

I had a look at the BMJ news piece published today.

It is probably best for me not to write a rapid response although I am not actually aware of agreeing to any confidentiality when I agreed to be an expert witness.

The author of the news piece notes:
    It is unclear, however, how the evidence became unsupportive.

Well it is quite clear from my report in the draft appendix. It did not become unsupportive, it always was. It is also quite clear from my response to Lynne Turner-Stokes, which was not cited despite Lynne's piece being cited together with Busse's disagreement (the author does not mention that L T-S thinks like me that GRADE is junk).

It might be good to have some responses. I think the key point is that the evidence has not changed. It is just that it has been reviewed by people who do not have a competing interest in the therapies involved and found to be valueless. My witness statement could of course be cited!

Garner's comment about the resigners being respected clinicians in the field sounds a bit like a comment from the Honourable Member for the Seventeenth Century. And full of irony for those with open eyes.

@dave30th ?

19. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an utterly egregious misrepresentation. The evidence was never supportive; a cogent assessment of that evidence showed that its quality was sufficiently low to be unworthy of inclusion in treatment recommendations.

I see the author uncritically regurgitates Busse's line. We really need to see some academic work tackling the mechanistic nonsense of the GRADE tool head-on and open a debate about its use in guiding NICE & other evidence reviews.

And Garner's comment, too:
    Does any patient believe that a PACE author (Murphy) and a physiotherapist from Crawley's clinic are the most respected service providers? The disconnect between this inward-looking clique and the everyday experiences of ME patients is quite astonishing. They really are living in their own little bubble, entirely impervious to objective reality. If these three have resigned, things are looking up.

I seem to remember that the 2007 guidelines were marred by the resignation of the patient representatives. Sauce for the goose. . .

20. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, I like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.