NICE ME/CFS guideline - draft published for consultation - 10th November 2020

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Nov 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Remember you can view public tweets, even if blocked, if you are currently logged out of Twitter. You wouldn't be able to reply of course.

(I used to follow Twitter accounts for years without an account of my own, by just bookmarking them in my browser. Only signed up in order to promote rationality and push back against the US and UK you-know-whos and you-know-whats in Dec 2020).

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And they call patients hysterical snowflakes. :rolleyes:

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Looks like an admin error on our part meant that we hadn't returned the confidentiality agreement to NICE, this was done last night so we should receive the guideline in due course.

4. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to note in this morning's print edition, the article's headline is:

Divisions rife among chronic fatigue experts

(page 22 of the edition for the South West)

The text is not quite the same as the web version, there is no mention of AfME, and the headline uses the term "chronic fatigue"):

File attached

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that would be hoping for too much. Hopefully it means the new guideline will not be a watered down version of the draft, in an attempt to win everyone over.

6. Barry

[my bold]

Yes! BPS spin yet again, trying to divert attention from the fact that what has really changed, is people are finally waking up to how bankrupt their pseudo-science really is.

That is part of the reason for updating the guideline, the old one got all of this stuff wrong.

7. Barry

Sounds very strongly like babies throwing their toys out of the pram.

Woolie, Starlight, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  8. Barry

They have such a lot to answer for, and I cannot help admitting part of me hopes they end up having to, via strictly legal mechanisms I emphasise. In a very real sense they have, by their incompetence and arrogance, effectively destroyed the lives of so very many good people, with no a hint of acknowledgement or contrition. I respect their basic human rights, as is necessary in any decent society, but I have no respect for them as individuals, their behaviour towards others. They demonstrate minimal respect for the basic human rights of others.
    It's what they do when they get desperate, and in a rather tragic way echoes their approach to science itself. The have no one credible to quote, so quoting low-credibility opinion will have to do instead, vainly hoping that nobody will notice.
    Absolutely. Often means you end up with the worst of everything.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  9. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that we must, at least, recognise the possibility that those who resigned may have found themselves in an impossible bind. How do you put your name to a report which suggests that the evidence for the treatments you have been recommending for many years is flimsy. Insurers might not be impressed.

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

11. Barry

Yep, I often use a temporary Word document, Ctrl-C into. And with any word Doc etc I habitually save it anyway, Ctrl-S.
    In due course this may all prove to be the most convincing and damning evidence yet to the wider public of what the these people really are like.

12. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are we to assume that Leda and the swan is symbolic of more than just reframing?

13. Barry

I think you may be right :). Leda being Truth and Integrity here.

14. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there any effort to stop people from using the term "chronic fatigue"? It's one of the most difficult things I encounter in actual medical appointments, with illness constantly dismissively referred to as "your chronic fatigue", as though it's some imaginary pet.

15. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ugh. i totally agree :emoji_rolling_eyes::emoji_angry:

16. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We could do with a stock response ready to send off every time someone confounds ‘ME/CFS’ with ‘chronic fatigue’ something along the lines of:

Is there any thing in the draft NICE guidelines that could be quoted here?

Wits_End, alktipping, Helene and 6 others like this.
  17. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I confess to having more than the one account!

18. Dx Revision Watch

Yes, it's frustrating - both in media usage (often seen in headlines and often when there would have been room to at least write "chronic fatigue syndrome" in full) and in medical notes.

My son's initial diagnosis, as a child in 1999, was "PVFS" which was subsequently firmed up to "ME". The 6 monthly outpatient appointment follow-up letters to his GP and school would use a variety of terms depending on which paediatric consultant or registrar he had been seen by on that occasion. So we would see, variously, "PVFS/ME", or "ME/prolonged fatigue", or "ME" or "ME/chronic fatigue syndrome" or "CFS/ME".

Last May, he had routine bloods done plus additional bloods for ruling out potential indicators for coeliac disease and IBD. I noticed that the referral form he was given by the GP to hand to the phlebotomist listed "Chronic fatigue" as existing diagnosis. Once GP practices are operating normally again, we will need to take up this use of terminology with the practice. I expect to find that he is still coded under G93.3/SNOMED CT SCTID: 52702003 but the GP practice should not be using "Chronic fatigue", even as shorthand on phlebotomy referral forms.

19. Dx Revision Watch

Yes, you can now toggle back and forth more easily between two or more Twitter accounts. But you do have to take care when posting to remember which account you currently have selected.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  20. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am wondering whether she has blocked anyone else in the replies for example, which aren't too keen on the piece - if she has, perhaps this could be mentioned - would not be the first person to be blocking ME/CFS patients and advocates on twitter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.