1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE ME/CFS guideline - draft published for consultation - 10th November 2020

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Nov 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

a response from AfME would be good.

Kitty, Michelle, Dolphin and 15 others like this.
  3. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The section on the level of care needed to support those with severe and very severe impairment, and in particular the nature and extent of sensory sensitivites, is very welcome, having been ignored by CG53. The guidelines make frequent reference to health care professionals "who have training and experience in ME/CFS". These either do not exist in many areas of the country - and, where they do exist, they are teams of psychologists and physiotherapists who themselves have very unhelpful beliefs as to how to manage our illness. Even those that are supposedly physician-led are so only for the initial diagnosis.

The detailed descriptions of how to support a patient to maintain independence, including the provision of aids and even home adaptations, are - as someone living in a very inaccessible home - dearly welcome.

I expect that there will be extensive pushback during the consultation period from many, if not all, of the existing NHS CFS clinics. The SMC's statement is, perhaps, a harbinger of things to come. One fear I have - a worst-case scenario - such clinics, especially those led by psychiatrists, may start to diagnose somatisation disorder, FND or undifferentiated somatoform disorder in order to avoid making a diagnosis of ME/CFS and therefore release them from their obligation to follow these recommendations.

I do not understand the over-emphasis throughout on the putative value of a "multidisciplinary team", although obviously occupational therapy and social care professionals have their place. A doctor who genuinely understands ME is worth far more than any NHS-CFS MDT.

Woolie, Kitty, lycaena and 34 others like this.
  4. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I will write

Arisoned, Kitty, hinterland and 47 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

surprise, PW 'expert'.
    Looks like PEM is being replaced with PESE (post exertional symptom exacerbation)

page 49
    page 51
    https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/GID-NG10091/documents/evidence-review-4

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Woolie, Kitty, lycaena and 17 others like this.
  6. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I imagine they are pretty pissed off that he would use a position he no longer has to claim expertise and in doing so undermine all the work he knows A4ME have done to distance themselves from such hogwash. Really scraping the barrel.

Woolie, Kitty, Dolphin and 20 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Fatigue:
    p50
    https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/GID-NG10091/documents/evidence-review-4

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget if you want your comments on particular sections of the guideline to be part of the discussion of the S4ME submission, put them on the individual thread for that section. They are likely to get lost on this general thread.

The threads for the sections are all linked in the second post of this thread.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/nice-...ltation-10th-november-2020.17687/#post-300145

If you want your post moved to one of these threads, use the contact moderators button on your post to request it.

Arisoned, Woolie, Kitty and 21 others like this.
  9. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really hope this will be good for us but the usual suspects have always managed to destroy any official reports that would help us.

Remember Peter White got the last set of guidelines changed from recommending wheelchairs to be used if needed because they would just make patients believe they were physically ill.

Woolie, Kitty, Dolphin and 21 others like this.
  10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. rainy

rainy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you so much to the people that helped make this happen. This is so many steps forward, I couldn't have dared hope for this (after all we've been through).

I'm so relieved by seeing Lightning Process mentioned as something that shouldn't be offered.

I read the 2007 guidelines to compare, and the new ones read to me as taking ME so much more seriously, with much more concern for patients' safety, and with a whole lot more understanding of what the patients struggles are.

Kitty, Wits_End, lycaena and 26 others like this.
  12. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree with what you’re saying. I have to admit I use noise and sound interchangeably - I always used to think of them as the same! When my mum is cleaning something in my room, I say “stop making noise!”. I think even the word noise could be used though, given, that we make clear that what we mean, is exposure to normal environmental levels of it.

Ie as you say, most people wouldn’t think rustling is an issue as it’s just a normal environmental sound. The noise that comes from hospital, even a busy one like the NHS - most people would think is just “normal”, certainly compared to something like a pub or club, it’s probably less noisy. But actually this “normal” level of environmental sound can be far too much to tolerate.

even “normal” conversation is often too much to tolerate.

That’s why I tried to be careful in the posts I wrote on the other threads to mention “exposure to normal levels of hospital noise”, when talking about hospital. I hope that adequately explains what I mean. :) (Although I think you are right, the word sound could be used in the guidelines more, but the normal environment levels is really important).

13. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Treatment Guidance for ME Proposes Curbs on Graded Exercise Therapy

A login required to read the whole article

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/940671

14. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NICE backtracks on graded exercise therapy and CBT in draft revision to CFS guidance

Link requires a login but I was able to access it with a google search of "chronic fatigue syndrome" and within last 24 hours.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4356.full.print

Woolie, Kitty, hinterland and 17 others like this.
  15. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What the BMJ is saying

16. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it just me or is there no depth to Dr Mujtaba Husain's expert commentary! Reads like a job advert - no explanation about how this works, measures of success or failure, NOTHING. I find that quite odd really - anyone else?

I have an idea how some of these things he mentions might look in practice - but I could see how things could alternatively look very bad if taken in a different direction. Context is all really. He waffles on with few specifics - he supports GET - but is this what is actually delivered by the physiotherapists in his team? How does he justify this versus the principles of science and objective measures / objective outcomes in clinical trials (or lack of them). Or does he not really think critically about what he does - just follows guidelines / colleagues recommendations? Blundering on thinking he is great...... !

What model of CBT is being used and why? I suspect he could not answer that question.

It doesn't give me confidence that he has an understanding of what he does and how he goes about his work with ME patients!

17. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A selection of points the Barts CF Service made during the development of the 2007 NICE Guidelines for CFS/ME, extracted by Tom Kindlon, can be found at this post on my old ME agenda site. Bart's responses to: disability aids and equipment; making information available on audio tape et al:

https://meagenda.wordpress.com/2007...g-the-nice-guidelines-for-cfs-me-tom-kindlon/

If IAPT were to get their November 2019 request approved, a Concept term for "Somatic symptom disorder (SSD)" would be added to the SNOMED CT UK Edition for availability for use in the new IAPT Data Set Version 2.0 and potentially added to the SNOMED CT International Edition.

IAPT leads wished to replace their previous data set term, "MUS - not otherwise specified" (a term they now consider inappropriate) with the term "Somatic symptom disorder" for their new IAPT Data Set Version 2.0 and associated literature, which was rolled out in September.

Since there is no ICD-10 code for SSD, a request was submitted last November for authoring a new SNOMED Concept code for addition to the UK Edition of SNOMED CT [1].

This request from IAPT leads was deferred by NHS Digital, in March 2020, for consideration for adding to the April 2020 release (and subsequently for the October 2020 release). The request was referred on to SNOMED International, in March 2020, for the consideration of their terminology leads. Its review status is currently unknown.

An interim November 2020 release of the UK Edition is scheduled for publication tomorrow, November 11. The next scheduled release of the SNOMED CT International Edition is January 31, 2021.

1 Spreadsheet: IAPT v2.0 Terminology Mapping Guidance Current version 3.3 Last updated: 17 July 2020

https://dxrevisionwatch.files.wordpress.com/2020/07/revised-iapt-3.3-mapping-ssd-for-october.png

[Edited to add additional text and a link to screenshot from IAPT spreadsheet]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  18. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Science Bit by prof. Brian Hughes
    Could this actually be happening?

Mark this day in your calendar. We could be observing the beginning of the end of a decades-long medical scandal.

Woolie, Barry, Kitty and 35 others like this.
  19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Shoddy effort. Hopefully he will read the whole document with Jonathan Edwards and Nina Muirhead’s thorough contributions and actually learn something about ME.

20. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was in hospital a few years ago where the noise was so bad I literally felt like jumping out of the window (and it was probably high enough to be fatal if I had been able to). It consisted of various alarms, some going off completely unnecessarily, and I was not the only person to be disturbed by it, as there was a group of older ladies notifying the staff about it. It was horrendous. I was in isolation!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.