1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE ME/CFS guideline - draft published for consultation - 10th November 2020

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Nov 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've worn an actimeter before my treatment with CBT/GET and it wasn't a bother at all. The thing got hooked up and the only time I had to mind it was whilst showering. This was in 2003, I'd imagine the devices have gotten better and even less intrusive over time, but I'm not sure about that.

2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Michelle, Hutan, Sarah94 and 4 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Michelle, Hutan, FMMM1 and 8 others like this.
  4. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Adam's Broken Battery videos

@ABrokenBattery
    · 29 Jun
    Dr David Strain talking at today's APPG. There are 3-4 types of Long Covid, one is very similar to ME/CFS. The ME/CFS service has 'probably been the most underfunded'. Graded Exercise only recently been removed, moving to pacing. Expects this area will be the 'biggest problem'.

If someone can upload the video attached to the above tweet Dr David Strain says at around 1.40 mins that only recently the RCGPs had updated their guidance on ME to remove GET/CBT. (paraphrase)

I wondered at the time about yhe RC of Physicians.

Video also linked at doctors with ME site: https://twitter.com/user/status/1409918390429523975

[​IMG]
    Doctors with M.E.

@DoctorsWithME
    ·
    29 Jun

@DoctorsWithME
    Honorary Fellow and BMA Long Covid Lead, Dr. David Strain, at today's All Party Parliamentary Group on Corona Virus

Simbindi, chrisb and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I take it all back.

the petition is here:

https://www.change.org/p/national-i...erail-the-review-of-nice-guidelines-on-me-cfs

ukxmrv, MEMarge, MeSci and 10 others like this.
  6. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry if this has already been said/asked, (too many posts and Tweets to keep track of this afternoon).

I wonder if the three BPS members that quit, along with Dr CS who was removed, have made the voting process unfeasible..and the weasel words that NICE put out is covering up for this? Could the three have worked out that it would destabilise the voting for the final version and making a play to screw things over at the 11th hour and succeeded.. #conspiracytheories

Michelle and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No that was not the case.

ukxmrv, Ariel, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  8. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Most NICE guidelines don't use voting. It's consensus or nothing.

Binkie4, ukxmrv, Robert 1973 and 7 others like this.
  9. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thinking it over, a bit worried of talk of legal proceedings if dont follow guidelines as we dont want legal proceedings if docs dont follow the current ones so important for them to use clinical judgment.
    too crashed to follow through so just an observation

Binkie4, Kirsten, Sean and 6 others like this.
  10. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Posts discussing Alistair Miller and sonja chowdhery talk on Radio 4 have been moved to this thread.

11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Others already know this stuff but I found this article on bloodletting from Wikipedia enlightening. There’s a reference to a lecture in 1838 at the Royal College of Physicians.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting

Can’t extract or link to specific paragraphs but there’s a sentence I’m going to quote when I’ve written it down

“Some physicians resisted [Charles Alexandre] Louis’ work
    “because they were not prepared to discard therapies validated by both tradition and their own experience on account of somebody else’s numbers””.
    Quote from Rangachari 1997 Evidence based medicine new Canadian wine in old French bottles.
    Sorry for the lightbulb moment.

this is absolutely what the Royal Colleges are doing right now

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    Wits_End, Michelle, rainy and 20 others like this.
  12. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Whoa:

"Nevertheless, in 1838, a lecturer at the Royal College of Physicians would still state that "blood-letting is a remedy which, when judiciously employed, it is hardly possible to estimate too highly", and Louis was dogged by the sanguinary Broussais, who could recommend leeches fifty at a time. Some physicians resisted Louis' work because they "were not prepared to discard therapies 'validated by both tradition and their own experience on account of somebody else's numbers'."

Bloodletting was used to treat almost every disease. One British medical text recommended bloodletting for acne, asthma, cancer, cholera, coma, convulsions, diabetes, epilepsy, gangrene, gout, herpes, indigestion, insanity, jaundice, leprosy, ophthalmia, plague, pneumonia, scurvy, smallpox, stroke, tetanus, tuberculosis, and for some one hundred other diseases. Bloodletting was even used to treat most forms of hemorrhaging such as nosebleed, excessive menstruation, or hemorrhoidal bleeding."

The bloodletting empire!

Wits_End, Michelle, rainy and 21 others like this.
  13. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I discovered a few years ago that the NHS still uses bloodletting, only not with so many leeches these days.

These days they stick a needle in your arm and draw out up to a liter of blood at a time, possibly several times a week, for conditions like Haemochromatosis.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/haemochromatosis/

Michelle, Louie41, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

They haven’t got round to making up a CBT programme for that yet

sebaaa, Louie41, ukxmrv and 11 others like this.
  15. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LOL :)

From the website:

• phlebotomy – a procedure to remove some of your blood; this may need to be done every week at first and can continue to be needed 2 to 4 times a year for the rest of your life
    • chelation therapy – where you take medicine to reduce the amount of iron in your body; this is only used if it's not easy to regularly remove some of your blood
    I'd be quite up for a bit of bloodletting and leeches myself but is chelation therapy actually a useful treatment? Have only seen it in dubious and dangerous contexts (more dangerous than bloodletting!)

Louie41, alktipping, Wyva and 2 others like this.
  16. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So the comparison for PWME is that it (Edit, that is, GET) is like using blood letting to treat haemophiliacs?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    Michelle, Louie41, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  17. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oi! I have haemochromatosis. Don't give them any bloody ideas.

shak8, Louie41, Simbindi and 12 others like this.
  18. Mars

Mars New Member

Where is the paragraph with the tiny letters, where involvement of MECFS patients and also NICE advice are under a veto of RCP rulings?

sous-bois, Simbindi, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  19. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Update: This was cancelled

(It seems the website doesn't allow to copy text -- further info see there.)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    ukxmrv, alktipping, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  20. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably irrelevant, but I wonder why the BMJ is a stakeholder. Why a journal? Is it also for other guidelines?

(Apologies if this is the wrong thread and a probably irrelevant question anyway -- just trying to tidy up my folder of draft forum posts and not up to search the NICE pages myself... )

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    sebaaa, Sly Saint, Solstice and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.