NIH: Accelerating Research on ME/CFS meeting, 4th and 5th April 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So...........does anyone know how to access today's stuff?

As the link I used yesterday says it's all finished, with no sniff of any plans for it starting later.

2. unicorn7

unicorn7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a second link for today!

Wonko likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Simone, Nellie and Wonko like this.
  4. Wonko

Thank you.

It seems jump to last unread post may have skipped several posts, been a while since I noticed that happening, or it could be user error, defective eyes etc.

Andy likes this.
  5. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

7. Wonko

8. Three Chord Monty

Three Chord Monty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well so far this is starting out just as bad as it was for at least the first half of yesterday's stream.

Hutan, Inara and Wonko like this.
  9. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's terrible, this on and off. But there's an ongoing transcript.

Hutan likes this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Got to say it's been fine for me so far, no doubt famous last words.....

11. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you very much for once again pointing this out. But if some/many (?) scientists are sloganeering and there is lots of "BS" and "clutching at straws" this then augers very very badly for all of us sitting at the edge of our chairs hoping that there will be some breakthrough for our suffering
    family members, and the whole ME community which has been denied a normal life. For a layman, then, it is hard to know what is reliable and what is not. And it is then difficult to evaluate whether anything is moving along and where and by whom. Thank you.

JohnM, Robert 1973, Kitty and 9 others like this.
  12. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Why are there so many case studies? Does someone know if it is something that was asked for the presentations?

13. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s interesting. What do you think their measures do indicate?

ukxmrv and andypants like this.
  14. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi all - I've had pretty major PEM starting yesterday evening, it was a long and tough day. Had major sleep disturbance as I often do the night before the first day of conference and was suddenly woken up at 3:00am very wired. Traveling and then at conference yesterday with spouse and mother from 8am until 5:30pm and then travel home. Plus I had to answer a lot of questions for my mother during the presentations.

Woke up this morning with all my muscles very stiff and sore and that super heavy feeling like I cannot move my body or arms. If I went today I would crash and lose many days so I'm watching via video. I found the video works better with HD off.

Here's the picture from yesterday. Masur Auditorium has 488 total seats, so one could guesstimate how many are at conference, but as you know people are also outside and walking in and out during talks.

Attached Files:

MEMarge, Sly Saint, TiredSam and 20 others like this.
  15. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The flavonoid Dr Levine mentioned was NeuroProtek

Kitty, ukxmrv and Trish like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, @Perrier , it is hard for lay people to know what is good and what just hot air. In the old days there were way fewer scientists but they were mostly genuinely interested in gettong answers rather than keeping their job. I think there is much more noise in the system now but that does not stop progress.

Real progress tends to be made woth a disease at a stage when rather small groups of people get together at ad hoc meetings rather than as part of the big professional spcietu jamborees. I think ME research is at exactly this stage. Meetings are occurring on three continents driven by enthusiastic groups. I get a feed in from scientists who attend. They are genuinely tryong to find a syntbesis. Som blind alleys are bound to be involved but as soon as we know they are blind you know better where to look.

I think all these groups are doing useful stuff. The fact tha they may also be caught up with talking bullshit may not matter. The bright people present will pick out the good points.

I think things are growing well and setting the scene for serious progress. But what is progress is not always obvious straight off. It needs to bed in

MEMarge, Robert 1973, Sean and 20 others like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know. The raosed temperature is odd. Raised temperature with i flammation is due to increased blood flow to colder areas like hands. It cannot apply to brain, which is already at core temperature. Being hotter would suggest more metabolic activity, not inflammation.

The cytokines people are picking up are not standard inflammation ones. I don't know what they would do in the brain.

18. Wonko

Paraphrasing (as my memory even from a minute ago is terrible)

"yesterday I was told there were over 500 people watching.

So thank you"

Then it goes dead again lol

Webdog, diwa and andypants like this.
  19. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am impressed that many people could stick with it in spite of all of cut outs of the livestream.

andypants and Wonko like this.
  20. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Collins seems passionate. Hoping that a lot more of solid actions will follow fine words and good intentions.

This Brian Wallit is controversial from what I’ve heard. Read some of his previous statements on this and that, and they are pretty strong. I don’t know what to make of them in this context. Personal opinions and expressions will probably fail when meeting science.

Though the study are small it it very rigorous. Should be some interesting things to find? What I find a little troubling is the very narrow entry criteria, thinking of duration of illness. But it’s a start. An impressive one that will be interesting to follow and a study that should provide some knowledge.

Simone, Sunshine3 and Andy like this.