Open NIH: Proof of concept trial on the effect of Ketamine on Fatigue Study

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Sly Saint, Jul 17, 2021.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Did exactly this when undiagnosed for several years. Strong Coffee and sweet snacks. To push through. I knew I was doing it to push through but didn’t know what I was pushing through and that it would result in a significant (and so far ongoing) worsening of my health.

merylg, cfsandmore, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Strange to use a Proof of Concept trial for a drug that is already on the market. Maybe is a code word for a small study without a lot of statistical power.

However, here's a link to a citation given by the study above for a RCT using bi-polar patients, who had significantly less fatigue than the control group on post Ketamine infusion, day two.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26807672/

Day two only? Ketamine doesn't even work on depression after a short period of days.

This study is conducted by nurses via their research institute NINR (National Institute of Nursing Research). I don't know where they are going with this...perhaps a new drug similar to ketamine is what they envision?

ukxmrv, Peter Trewhitt and Wonko like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ketamine, whilst probably not entirely legal, was pretty freely available in the UK 10-15 years ago, and used for pain relief for those involved in certain 'sports'.

It could be freely bought online from many 'sports' sites (weightlifting in particular, but also sites selling MMR gear etc.)

and then suddenly...it stopped.

As I was not, and still am not, a horse, I never ordered any, but I was aware it was available, should I suddenly turn in to one.

I am confused by the idea that people are now researching well known things about a drug that's been around for donkey's years.

I await the next project into how wet water is.

ukxmrv, alktipping, J.G and 4 others like this.
  4. shak8

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Citation needed. Is this claim evidence-based?

Helene, Peter Trewhitt, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  6. Kirsten

Kirsten Established Member (Voting Rights)

I had an operation at the end of last year and the pain team gave me ketamine. It was wonderful for pain relief but did nothing for my ME. It made me feel very spaced. One afternoon i realised i'd spent the last 3 or 4 hours just watching the clouds, transfixed, and completely unaware of the time or my surroundings. I imagine it was a bit like being high. And talking was much harder. I forget words a lot with my ME, but getting the right words in the right order was tough on this drug! I'd take it again for pain if i needed it, but i can't imagine how it would help anyone with ME.

7. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apparently it is as wet as you expect it to be.

There are two kinds of people. People who know they have some horse deep down inside them, and people who think they have no inner horse. The former will recover from their MECFS and the latter won't.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Stuck in a k-hole. It's known for that. Very popular rave drug.

9. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's just being stoned (on K), a K hole is more extreme where you kind of lose touch with your body and are pretty much on another planet mentally, for a shorter amount of time just after you've done a big line of the stuff ‍ it doesn't last that long. Generally it does make you feel numb and distract you from the normal passing of time.

shak8 likes this.
  10. shak8

11. shak8

cfsandmore and Trish like this.