Normal versus abnormal: What normative data tells us about the utility of heart rate in postural tachycardia, 2019, Baker and Kimpinski

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Hutan, Jun 16, 2024.

1. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another potentially relevant paper from 2010: This descriptive population study of 307 public high school students, ages 15 to 17 years. . . Reference ranges for orthostatic heart rate change in this population at 2 minutes were -2 to +41 beats per minute and at 5 minutes were -1 to +48 beats per minute. . . One-third of participants experienced orthostatic symptoms during testing.

2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes unfortunately, they do not report how many students had more than 40 bpm HR changes as that would give an indication of the current threshold. They only report the median (20) range (-15 + 61) and 2.5% (-1) and 97.5% (48) quartiles and mention that 23% had a HR increase of more than 30 bpms.

One interesting aspect in this study is that HR changes hardly correlated with orthostatic symptoms (notice the big ranges).

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt, FMMM1 and alktipping like this.
  4. ME/CFS Skeptic

No did not work but thanks anyway. SNT Gatchaman kindly helped me out.

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That's an interesting thought. There are other factors that might influence base line heart rate - for example, the effort of getting to the clinic for those people disabled by their symptoms might result in a much higher baseline heart rate than normal, making it harder to demonstrate an increase upon standing.

I found that periods of worse symptoms did correlate with increased morning resting heart rate, so that would tend to make it harder to demonstrate the necessary heart rate increase. Maybe, as suggested above, more weight should be given to the absolute heart rate when standing after lying down.

It's a point worth repeating, it definitely doesn't make sense to have the same HR increase in both a tilt table test and a standing test when diagnosing POT.

(and of course, as this thread demonstrates, tilt table testing and HR increases may not be very useful when diagnosing POTS).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
  6. ME/CFS Skeptic

I think the conclusion is more that POT may not be relevant to the symptoms POTS patients experience. Orthostatic tachycardia seems to have a very weak relationship with orthostatic symptoms.

7. ME/CFS Skeptic

@Nightsong Do you know of any studies that measured the prevalence of POTS among OI patients? For example: clinics that report the % of POTS in the patients with OI that get referred to them.

I found this one paper that says that only 19% of their OI patients fulfilled POTS criteria.
    Patients with Orthostatic Intolerance: Relationship to Autonomic Function Tests results and Reproducibility of Symptoms on Tilt - PubMed (nih.gov)

8. Hutan

It may not be, but I think there are a few things to think about before the idea is chucked away. Here are my example measures again. I don't think some of those heart rates on standing are normal, and the days when standing heart rates were high coincided to some extent with worse ME/CFS symptoms.

So, maybe there's a problem with
    • acknowledging that the increased heart rate phenomenon fluctuates - it's not necessarily a problem every day
    • change measures versus absolute measures - because a raised baseline for whatever reason makes it harder to qualify for a required increase in heart rate.
    • tilt table testing - maybe it has nothing much to do with the impact of standing; maybe it causes problems for healthy people too
    • some people's cardiovascular system may go haywire in different ways, or in different way on different days - e.g. maybe the blood pressure drops, so the heart rate increase is still a problem, but it's not the only one
    • Maybe things are more complicated than just a heart rate change on standing, and other factors need to be taken into account too when working out if a heart rate increase means a system that isn't functioning well. e.g. is the increase sustained? is the increase relative to artery stiffness?

ahimsa, Peter Trewhitt, Lilas and 5 others like this.
  9. Nightsong

Have you seen this one?

10. ME/CFS Skeptic

Yes that is probably an issue and your own measurements show that very clearly: there seems to be a large inter-individual variability: one day you have increases with 45, other times only 11 bpm.

Some argued that orthostatic tachycardia measurements during standing or tilt testing are a bit like measurements of blood pressure: it fluctuates a lot so you have to take multiple measurements before you interpret an increase as an problem.

11. ME/CFS Skeptic

Thanks!

12. ME/CFS Skeptic

Another interesting one:
    Orthostatic Intolerance in Adults Reporting Long COVID Symptoms Was Not Associated With Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome - PubMed (nih.gov)
    Peak heart rate during the standing test did not predict OI and the majority of Long Covid patients with tachycardia did not have OI during the tilt test.

13. ME/CFS Skeptic

14. ME/CFS Skeptic

15. Hutan

From the above study:
    Yes, I don't think we have to see the orthostatic tachycardia itself as pathologic. It may well be a very normal and helpful reaction to some sort of stressor - to blood or oxygen not getting to where it needs to get to, for example.

Peter Trewhitt, EndME, Sean and 4 others like this.
  16. Hutan

Standing shock index: An alternative to orthostatic vital signs

Donating 450 ml of blood didn't change supine shock index values in healthy people. It did change standing shock index values by a bit less than 0.1, which is quite significant. And the authors suggest that standing shock index is useful in identifying hypovolemia.

I can't access that paper - I'm interested to know how the shock index changed from supine to standing, before and after the blood donation in these healthy people.

17. Nightsong

Hope this works:

1.png

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
    Peter Trewhitt, EndME, Sean and 2 others like this.
  18. Hutan

19. Hutan

Thanks very much @Nightsong.

So, similar results to that older study I quoted in my last post.

Standing shock index increased from 0.67 to 0.76 after blood donation

The OCSI (orthostatic change in shock index, the difference between supine and standing shock index) increased from 0.11 to around 0.20 after blood donation.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
  20. ME/CFS Skeptic

Also notable in the POTS literature: not a single decent prevalence or epidemiological study. Almost all single-center observational studies which are probably affected by referral and selection bias.

Also no prognosis studies, some say that half of the patients spontaneously recover within 3 years but there seems to be no data about this at all.