Normal versus abnormal: What normative data tells us about the utility of heart rate in postural tachycardia, 2019, Baker and Kimpinski

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Hutan, Jun 16, 2024.

1. Ken Turnbull

Ken Turnbull Established Member (Voting Rights)

I had a look in the textbook but it doesn’t seem to cover the decision on the 30 BPM, unfortunately.

2. Ken Turnbull

Ken Turnbull Established Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Peter Novak has commented that he suspects that the majority of chronic orthostatic intolerance is not accompanied by orthostatic abnormalities in blood pressure or heart rate.

But he did describe two new types of chronic OI that fit this profile, so we have to consider that he may be overstating this possibility due to his personal interest in helping those patients:

https://www.brighamhealthonamission...o-pinpoint-causes-of-orthostatic-intolerance/

“We can now diagnose people who were previously thought to have psychiatric illness or had no diagnosis at all,” said Novak.”

Helene, Ash and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. We thought the value was probably based on the Streeten paper (J Lab Clin Med 1988; 111(3):326-35) which I eventually tracked down. The results are in Table 1 - as you can see the upper end for the healthy population is +27 BPM.