Oculomotor Behaviour in Individuals with Long COVID-19, 2024, González-Vides et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Aug 4, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oculomotor Behaviour in Individuals with Long COVID-19
    L González-Vides; JL Hernández-Verdejo; JA Gómez-Pedrero; A Ruiz-Pomeda; P Cañadas-Suárez

OBJECTIVES
    To determine, the impact of long COVID-19 on oculomotor behaviour.

DESIGN
    A case–control study.

SETTING
    Spanish Association of Persistent COVID.

PARTICIPANTS
    Participants were 75 cases (64 women, 11 men, mean age 46.4 years ± 8.9) and 42 controls (22 women, 20 men, mean age 53.5 years ± 13.13).

INTERVENTION
    An eye-tracking test based on visual search paradigm and the Adult Developmental Eye Movement Test were used to evaluate the participants.

Main measures: The primary outcomes in the Adult Developmental Eye Movement Test were horizontal reading time, vertical reading time, and their ratio. And for the eye-tracking test the time to find the target, the duration, and the number of eye fixations.

RESULTS
    In cases and controls, eye movement test results were horizontal(Hadj) reading time 74.2 ± 22.7 s vs 52.0 ± 6.1 s (p < .0001); vertical(Vadj) reading time 67.6 ± 17.8 s vs 50.4 ± 6.9 s (p < .0001); Hadj/Vadj ratio 0.9 ± 0.1 vs 1.0 ± 0 (p = .0032), respectively; and eye-tracking test results were fixation number 11.3 ± 3.07 vs 3.51 ± 2.57 (p < .0001); fixation duration 2.01 ± 0.79 s vs 1.5 ± 0.4 s (p = .0013), and time to find target 24.5 ± 8.0 vs 18 ± 9.4 (p = .0034), respectively.

CONCLUSIONS
    Data showed a lower performance in oculomotor behaviour in people with long COVID-19, compared to healthy individuals. It cannot be affirmed an ocular musculature dysfunction; the differentiated behaviour could be associated to cognitive alterations affected in these people. Both tests used could be an useful tool for the clinical assessment of these participants. Further studies are needed to explore the utility of these procedures.

Link | PDF (Clinical Rehabilitation)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2024
    Michelle, Kitty, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

From the abstract, this looks interesting - good sample size, good differentiation between the cohorts, looks like all of the measures are reported and all are significantly different and in the same direction.

The controls are older (mean age 53.5 years versus 46.4 years in the LC cases). And yet the older controls still outperform the LC cases. There is a sex difference in the cohorts though - higher percentage of men in the controls. I suppose there is the possibility that that accounts for some or all of the identified difference.

I think an associate of Chris Armstrong @MelbME was working on something like this. I can't recall if we have seen a report from them yet?

Sean, RedFox, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's such an interesting field. Here's a paper with some background.
    Individual differences in human eye movements: An oculomotor signature? 2017
    It seems that an individual's specific combination of oculomotor measures is identifying and has good re-test reliability. Also that brain trauma and diseases affecting the CNS affect oculomotor measures.

It would be interesting to see if the changes over time in oculomotor performance of people with ME/CFS (and ME/CFS-like Long Covid) when the tests have a long duration differs from healthy controls. i.e. the LC people might start out worse, but do they get even worse quicker? Also if there are differences when in PEM, with different severities, after exercise.

I wonder what selection criteria this 2024 study used for Long Covid.

Sean, RedFox, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some pathogens are known to have a tropism for cranial nerves (e.g cranial nerves such as cranial nerve VII in Bell's Palsy and cranial nerve VIII in some vestibular disorders.)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2024
    Sean, RedFox, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  5. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think there’s something wrong with my ocular motor function, perhaps Covid related. Thanks to LC I don’t have capacity to read any thing on it though.

Sean, Michelle, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  6. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

After years, I met an optician who explained to me that my eye muscles (there are 6 in a ring around the eye) don’t function as usual, they don’t work together either. He asked if I had Chronic fatigue? He said he sees it a lot, he can tell. Made sense to me.

Sean, RedFox, bobbler and 8 others like this.
  7. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same here re eye muscles. I was told it was due to my age but it affects my vision far more than what would be expected with normal aging I think. Normal aging doesn't include crazy, erratic double vision or taking forever to focus on a TV after looking at a phone among other aberrations.

Kitty, Sean, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  8. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve had it since I was young. Yes, the ocular muscles are needed so the eye can track and focus. Mine just gives out whenever they fancy. I still think “why don’t I put my glasses on” even though I have them on.

Kitty, oldtimer, Sean and 4 others like this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My daughter was advised at 21 that her optic nerve looks like that of someone in their 40s .
    Optician commented it as being a bit weird but nothing of concern.
    Eyesight is a good indicator of fatigue level for her.
    Sadly getting worse generally ,as is her severity.

Sean, Kitty, Wonko and 2 others like this.