O'Dowd-Crawley early intervention study

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by JohnTheJack, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Odd that there are only results after 6 months, not at the start of the trial, so no way of knowing whether there was overall improvement or not in both groups. Though I guess the important primary result is the uptake of the intervention was so low it's not feasible to run a bigger trial and the secondary outcome is no significant between group differences on any of the measures.

What a waste of money.

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sure that there's a worthwhile paper in this if anyone managed to piece it together.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All that hot air would make a great paper airplane.

4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or the Hindenberg.

5. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

I have continued chasing up these data. They were going to publish and going to publish and going to publish. The contact was really helpful and thanked me for continuing to bring the matter to their attention.

It seems these data have finally been released and are available here.

I've had a quick look, and it seems to be the full anonymized set. If someone were able to look and confirm, I'd be grateful so I can reply to the FOI team there and say the matter is now closed.

@Lucibee @Adrian @Graham

MSEsperanza, Hutan, Esther12 and 7 others like this.
  6. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't understand. Why have they published the dataset but not a full report of the study?

MSEsperanza, ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  7. JohnTheJack

It seems they couldn't get anyone to publish it. It would have been stuck in a drawer if I hadn't asked for the data.

As far as you can tell, does that look like the full anonymized data?

MSEsperanza, Barry, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  8. Lucibee

At a glance, no. (tho pls check - I do miss things!). Looks like they haven't included the WPAI qs1-4, which includes no hours worked/not worked in past 7 days. They've only included qs 5 and 6. Here's a pdf of WPAI to see why that's important: http://oml.eular.org/sysModules/obxOml/docs/ID_98/WPAI-GH_English_US_V2.pdf
    Summary data of WPAI were included in the basic results: http://www.isrctn.com/editorial/retrieveFile/283ff95f-3ce1-48dd-94d3-441b74834d04/23369

MSEsperanza, Barry, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully this is the start of a trend

ETA sorry to jump in with sarcasm couldn’t resist :whistle:

MSEsperanza, feeb, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The data set is badly set out - a spreadsheet would be more helpful. I note their rationale for the 'early intervention' was to catch early people who might develop CFS/ME and do something to prevent it.

I've only looked at the SF-36 physical functioning and Chalder Fatigue questionnaire results for the untreated control group.

The thing that strikes me is that 6 months of doing nothing seems to be pretty effective at 'preventing CFS' since this particular group of patients showed little sign of it in the first place. Out of the 16 patients, only 7 were affected badly enough to be eligible for PACE at the start, and only one at the finish.

It's possible I'm misreading the data. It would be interesting to see an analysis including a between group comparison, if anyone can be bothered.

MSEsperanza, EzzieD, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  11. Lucibee

Someone should tell Ben Goldacre... #AllTrials

12. JohnTheJack

OK, thanks. They did say they'd get the complete set for me by the end of the month, but we'll see.

13. JohnTheJack

He may not have enough time to look at it. I think that's his usual excuse.

Gecko, Cheshire, Esther12 and 3 others like this.
  14. Lucibee

If it's in the ISRCTN registry, it should at least get picked up by subsequent Cochrane analyses, and NICE guideline committees, one would hope?

15. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm afraid that my brain cells are slowing down, and I have a couple of areas that I am looking at at the moment. I'll happily look at it when there's a space and my brain is active, but that may be a while yet. Sorry!

16. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Because the feasibility study failed to achieve their objectives

The dropout rate for the intervention was 47%, but since most participants spontaneously recovered, and few would have met CFS criteria at any point (ignoring 6+ month requirement) it is impossible to say how large a full scale study would need to be. (it could be 1000+ participants required!)

17. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks this seems like a useful observation, even if I think we already knew that a lot of people presenting with possible (broadly defined?) CFS to a GP are going to recover even before the six month mark.

18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Best guess would be that they didn't like the null results. There are no objective measurements, as usual. Frankly this is dereliction of duty from the funding institutions to never require any objective data after decades of the same research in a loop and 2 decades in practice. Seems like the only objective measures planned, hours worked and hours missed, were dropped. As is tradition.

Although looking at the data, I have no idea who these people are since there are 7 with a SF-36 baseline of 95+, who all ended up with 95+ at 6 months. Those have CFQ ranging from 15 to 28. Randomization was pretty bad, the control group had 5/16 of the 95+, leaving 2/20 for the EI group.

A quick calculation, removing missing entries, on SF-36, the only mildly relevant measure:
    "Usual" care: start=67 end=84
    "Usual" care + EI: start=60 end=77​

On absolute measure, the "intervention" yields a lower SF-36, but the same increase in report of 17. Some are dramatic changes, I see from 20 to 100 and from 10 to 70, but the direction of the various questionnaires have little relation to one another, they are all over the place. And there is a lot of missing data.

Roughly speaking, even by the usual abysmal standards of research by Crawley, this appears too bad to publish. I wonder how much copy and paste is involved in writing every paper, those trials all do the same thing anyway. Complete waste of public funds and academic resources.

19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks a lot of John for his persistence on this (and also to those who first raised this issue long ago).

I wonder if it would be worth a couple of people trying to do a short paper on the results (and maybe the trouble with getting the results out) to get it in the peer reviewed literature? Could also mention the spin around PACE and the difficulty of getting their prespecified results, and then ask Crawley/O'Dowd if they want their names attached?

20. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What would the paper say exactly? That there was a high dropout rate and most patients recovered spontaneously leading to insufficient sample size to attempt to detect a difference?