Online workshop: Clinical Trial Design in People with ME/CFS, 4th June 2024

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Apr 18, 2024.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Normal good practice chairing of any meeting especially larger groups where people are remote would be to explain when questions will be taken, how to indicate you have a question or a point to make, whether the meeting discussion should be kept to those attending or if it’s ok to tell others outside the group.

asking for courtesy and mutual respect, not speaking over others, keeping comments to the point is all perfectly acceptable. This I’ve never heard before.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2024
    Hutan, Fainbrog, Missense and 10 others like this.
  2. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It makes them look paranoid

Fainbrog, Lou B Lou, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  3. MrMagoo

Can’t wait to see the video when it’s released in a few days

Fainbrog, Kitty, bobbler and 2 others like this.
  4. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's interesting that the Octopus trial is at 14.25

Its something that cropped up on my social media a while ago, is for MS, and is basically from what I can see a way of speeding up testing of multiple treatments. The following page summarises it best: Octopus | MS Society

It seems to be funded by MS Society.

There is also a page about it on the MS trust: Octopus trial for progressive MS | MS Trust

And what looks like the 'official' page (combined logos including MRC funding council, UCL and MS Society): Home | Octopus Trial (ucl.ac.uk)

MrMagoo, Lou B Lou, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  5. bobbler

:thumbup:

MrMagoo likes this.
  6. bobbler

Good bit of priming there from Sarah Tyson....

but confusing given I thought she was the one who became abusive / name-calling as a bit of a distraction from the questions she I guess didn't want to have noticed or asked about her research ?

Is that not classic DARVO (also a form of abuse?) to be the person who 'did it', then decided not to apologise, and then tries to prime every person who doesn't know what she did/happened to think maybe the opposite happened?

I hope the full event is being filmed from start to end for the official record, just in case claims are made that are incorrect.

Hutan, Fainbrog, Missense and 6 others like this.
  7. bobbler

As long as it works both ways hey.

Can someone get word to Monica that abuse / abusive particularly does, and always have for any laypersons included suggesting to those who might be that way inclined that 'hysterical woman' accusations and words specifically including and 'in the spirit of': catastrophising, hysterical, hysterical projection, projection, conspiracy theory/theories . And are particularly and deliberately hurtful to those with ME who have had a tyranny of that harming their health, it turns out, based on others false beliefs that weren't justified.

Oh and when the name-caller has no background whatsoever in any form of psych to make any assessment to use those terms other than as laypersons insults. I doubt a trained psychologist worth their salt would use them. They aren't really technical terms in that form.

And that should specifically include inaccurately suggesting someone's perfectly fair questions might be 'mere' hysterical projection, catastrophising, conspiracy theories, overt hostility and insults

So if that is what it is about then it would be a fair point.

But they've ironically put Sarah as chair, so ...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
    Hutan, Fainbrog, MrMagoo and 4 others like this.
  8. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It'd be hilarious if someone asked whether "hysterical projection, catastrophising, conspiracy theories, overt hostility and insults" counted as abusive language.

Hutan, Fainbrog, Missense and 10 others like this.
  9. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tempting, but probably not productive...

Missense, Amw66, MrMagoo and 6 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have signed up to attend. If I manage to work the technology, I intend to watch and listen to some of it, but not try to take notes or ask questions

Hutan, Fainbrog, Lou B Lou and 7 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trojan might be the word.

Fainbrog, Missense, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  12. Trish

I have watched the first 2 talks.
    Sarah Tyson's section on her team's development of PROMs she said she expects the 3 tested so far on symptoms, PEM and function are expected to be useful for clinical trials. She talked a bit about them in general terms about reliability and validity and the need to take onto account that ME is a fluctuating condition, so quite large changes would be needed to show clinical change.
    Then physiological measures 2 day CPET - she said "drop in aerobic threshold on the second day equals onset of PEM". She said a bit about the home testing study led by Nicola Clague Baker that found physiological effects of activities in the pwME but not consistent between individuals.
    Then wearables which she talked about briefly and very dismissively as unreliable and not validated for ME.

There was a question about FUNCAP which she said is validated, but she is clearly not keen on. She says she found it difficult to fill in and she thinks her team's approach to a function questionnaire is better. She describes the difference as FUNCAP focuses on the consequences of doing activities, whereas her questionnaire focuses on the adaptations people make to decide to do or not do each activity.

Hutan, bobbler, Fainbrog and 10 others like this.
  13. Trish

I watched Caroline Kingdon who talked about her experience of visiting people at home who are participating in the ME Biobank. She was excellent on the need for the clinician to listen and be adaptable to the pwME's needs and limitations when designing and carrying out research. Very good talk.

Ran out of energy to watch the last 2 talks.

Hutan, bobbler, Fainbrog and 10 others like this.
  14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

FUNCAP is Not difficult to fill in it is being used by thousands of people in visible through the app monthly. The view of one person is not a valid basis for ruling something out for potential use in the NHS, inappropriate. A lot of people with ME rely on technology more than the average person. It’s a pity ME Association didn’t link up with the Visible team instead.

horton6, Hutan, bobbler and 12 others like this.
  15. MrMagoo

I thought she’d said here PROMS was NOT to be used for clinical trials

I guess if she found FUNCAP difficult to fill in, she’s speaking on badly of the ME community now?

Hutan, bobbler, Fainbrog and 4 others like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

I have huge respect for Caroline. She just talks sense and never oversteps her evidence base.

I couldn't muster the energy to listen to the rest.

Hutan, bobbler, Fainbrog and 9 others like this.
  17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Then wearables which she talked about briefly and very dismissively as unreliable and not validated for ME.

Well then the profession needs get to making them reliable and validated. Because inadequately controlled PROMS are not okay.

Hutan, bobbler, MrMagoo and 8 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

I actually thought there was a recent paper showing that wearables worked fine in showing that people with ME/CFS do much less.

Hutan, bobbler, MrMagoo and 8 others like this.
  19. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yip, brief look online years ago indicated that the (much poorer/early) wearable were better at assessing activity versus subjective "user reported" - how can we be having this debate (Sarah Tyson)?

MEMarge, horton6, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  20. MrMagoo

It’s just an excuse. They’re doing the thing they want to do. They want to do PROMS with paper questionnaires they way they want to, that’s all.

MEMarge, Missense, Hutan and 6 others like this.