Online workshop: Clinical Trial Design in People with ME/CFS, 4th June 2024

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given that the patient participation seems backwards engineered , I suspect the bulk of this was done years ago before wearables became more of a thing and it's sat on shelf awaiting funding.
    The language and methodology seem pre revised NICE guidelines, but too much sunk cost to change..

MEMarge, Missense, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

By email from the workshop organiser Monica Bolton:

Dear attendee,

Many thanks for attending the Clinical Trial Design in People with ME/CFS workshop and we hope that you found it informative.

We said at the workshop that we would make as much of it available as possible.

The link for the workshop material is here:

Clinical Trials Workshop

The folder contains two sub-folders labelled;-

Agenda and Presentations. All these are Microsoft documents, and if you click on any document you will be asked to log into Microsoft. Most people will find it easiest to download each document/power point presentation (right click on the document) and then open on your own machine with your Microsoft or equivalent software.

and

Workshop files. The workshop files includes the video file of the workshop, the vtt file (which adds the closed captions), the audio only file, the chat files and the closed caption text file. We hope to edit the closed caption text file if we have time as one of the speakers had microphone issues. So please check back later, probably over the summer, if you want a clearer version.

We hope to keep this link available for some time. Please feel free to download the files and to distribute the link to anyone you feel may be interested in the workshop.

If you have comments or questions please contact us on

clinical-trial-design@serafina3.me.uk

Yours,

Monica Bolton & Alan Mould

Missense, Sean, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  3. Trish

Well that was useful (not)
    I tried to open one of the documents and got an access denied response.

Missense, Sean, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I too couldn’t access files but video recording worked.

Missense, Hutan, MrMagoo and 2 others like this.
  5. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve accessed and downloaded the closed caps document.

Here are photos of Tysons talk
    I only skimmed it
    the PROMS data can be used for clinical research
    Attendees were commenting how unreliable they find wearables
    IMG_2720.png IMG_2719.png IMG_2718.png IMG_2717.png

6. Trish

That was Sarah Tyson as part of her talk commenting about how unreliable some individuals find wearables, presumably from a few people she's spoken to. I don't recall the audience making any such comments. Can you point to it?

7. MrMagoo

IMG_2720.jpeg
    a lot of comments in the chat about wearables being incredibly unreliable and not recording

MEMarge, Missense, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  8. MrMagoo

The issues with wearables seems to be that because they’re all different in how they measure, and she doesn’t know the “under the hood” calculations they use etc, they’re not reliable and -this is key- therefore those results wouldn’t be fit to use as clinical trial data.

Generating a data set for clinical trial data was the NICE gap this project was to fill, was then not part of this project, then suggested it could be a secondary benefit, I don’t like the way this is inconsistent. Also it will be GiGO data, rubbish in rubbish out. I don’t care for any “clinical trial” using this data as a measure

MEMarge, Missense, Sean and 4 others like this.
  9. Trish

Thanks, so the chair says 'a number of comments in the chat saying they were finding wearables 'incredibly unreliable, not recordiing accurately what they were doing, things like that.'
    So not lots of people, just 'a number of people' and the chair's quick glance through a few people responding in the chat.
    I take that as unreliable evidence, just a few random people agreeing with what ST already said.
    Hardly the basis for ST to dismiss so comprehensively any use of wearables.
    Also ST says she herself uses HR monitoring to help with pacing, as lots of people do and have done for decades along with step monitoring.
    Her justification here seemed to be that they are not yet proven as research outcome measures, yet she kept asserting that her PROMs are intended for clinical care, not for trials. She can't have it both ways. Her PROMs are not yet proven as outcome measures either, and definitely no more reliable, let alone objective.

Missense, Sean, MrMagoo and 1 other person like this.
  10. MrMagoo

Aha, yes the “in the chat” comments were referred to towards the end of Tyson’s talk- after she has extensively derided them. The people in the chat seemed to be wholeheartedly in agreement.

Luckily there didn’t appear to be any abuse in the comments either. Good job they warned everyone ahead of, and at the start of the conference.

11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is definitely a basis to this. They are not especially accurate, but that much precision isn't really needed, and the problem exists with all devices, which normalizes the problems a bit.

For sure refusing to use them is a classic perfect being the enemy of good. Not only are they good enough, using them in a standardized way will make those problems less significant with time.

Missense, Amw66, Sean and 2 others like this.
  12. MrMagoo

They are more reliable than a 90 question survey asking you to recall activity in the past month

MEMarge, horton6, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

What is required is that they are reasonably accurate at recording changes and trends for the individual. It is the variations that seem most important here, though the absolute values do matter as well.