1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Medicine Foundation (OMF) fundraising

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Adam pwme, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Too tired to listen music at the mo, but that artwork is fab!

2. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FYI, the newsletter contains more than just fundraising information.

That may seem obvious but I thought I'd mention it since the thread title is "OMF fundraising."

alktipping and wigglethemouse like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

email from OMF

OMF adds a fourth ME/CFS Collaborative Research Center

alktipping, Anna H, ahimsa and 4 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really glad for this right in my backyard. It's my former university :) Well, the one where I assembled a bunch of credits into a certificate anyway. Ah, the before time. That was a great time.

It's going to be a rough start, though. Montreal is being hit pretty hard right now, especially in long-term care homes. Hospitalizations are rising despite weeks of lockdown so it may be tightened further. Enough that the army has been called to provide assistance, in Quebec and Ontario.

I just hope we can convince Health Canada to give the COVID-PVFS-ME issue some importance.

alktipping, Anna H, Perrier and 5 others like this.
  5. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping and ahimsa like this.
  6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OMF announced this week a new Celebrity Ambassador - Jennie Jacques. She is an actress and currently playing the role of Saxon Queen Judith in the historical drama TV series Vikings.

Jennie explains in her own words, why her new role as an OMF Ambassador is of significance to the entire ME/CFS community:

“I have a keen interest in the science behind ME/CFS. I am in awe of the stellar Scientific Advisory Board working for OMF. As an OMF Ambassador I hope to come up with creative ways to engage with researchers and ultimately use my platform to raise awareness and further educate people.

The illness is severely under-represented, and I am honoured to be a relatable public voice. I find myself productively looking up medical jargon after delving into videos, interviews, and seminars on ME/CFS; I hope, as an OMF Ambassador, to relay such information in a way which enables a person without the scientific vocabulary to better comprehend.

I am excited to collaborate with OMF and I look forward to building our relationship and moreover, finding a cure.”

https://www.omf.ngo/2020/05/13/actress-jennie-jacques-becomes-omfs-newest-ambassador/

7. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

O M F TRIPLE GIVING TUESDAY

i just wanted to remind people that any donations to the o m f are tripled today. for those who do not know the open medicine foundation funds research into m e and f m

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2020
    Kitty, Sarah94, Jaybee00 and 2 others like this.
  8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you're worried that you may have missed it, it looks like "Triple Giving Tuesday" runs from today (10/20) through December 1st ( a total of 44 days, I think).

https://www.omf.ngo/2020/10/15/triplegivingtuesday-is-almost-here/

ahimsa, Kitty, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  9. alktipping

thanks i forgot to write that part having to relearn how to make an op it took nearly fourty minutes a bad day for cognative function .

ahimsa, Ebb Tide, Forbin and 2 others like this.
  10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just repeating for anyone who's interested...

alktipping, ahimsa and Dolphin like this.
  11. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

From email

We have a unique opportunity to share with you: Donate to OMF’s Facebook Fundraiser on Tuesday, Dec. 1 (International Giving Tuesday), and have your gift matched by 6x!

When you donate to our #TripleGivingTuesdayOMF Facebook Fundraiser tomorrow, Facebook will match up to $7 million in donations — for the first $2 million, they will match 100 percent of your donation, and for the remaining $5 million, they will match 10 percent of your donation. On top of that, generous OMF supporters will triple match the amount of your gift. That means OMF can receive six times the amount you donate!

Donate Now to Make 6x the Impact on ME/CFS Research!

Facebook’s matching grant will run out quickly, so please be sure to make your donation as soon as the match launches on Tuesday, Dec. 1 (5 AM Pacific / 8 AM Eastern / 1 PM London). All you have to do is follow this link to our Facebook Fundraiser, then click the “donate” button to make your gift. The matching contributions will be applied automatically.

Additionally, Facebook covers the processing fees for your gift, so that 100 percent of your contribution goes to OMF. Your $10 donation turns into $60, $100 into $600, and so on; any amount you contribute makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2020
  12. Jaybee00

Bump.

Take Zuck’s money.

13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news...es-pet-portrait-to-charitys-virtual-bake-off/

14. Jaybee00

15. Jaybee00

6X match tomorrow.

Facebook’s matching grant will run out quickly, so please be sure to make your donation as soon as the match launches on Tuesday, November 30, (5 AM Pacific / 8 AM Eastern / 1 PM London). All you have to do is follow this link to our Facebook Fundraiser, then click the “donate” button to make your gift. The matching contributions will be applied automatically.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1465369367298912259

Hutan, alktipping and Kitty like this.
  16. Jaybee00

BUMP--reminder--Zuck is a bad man--take his money....

17. alktipping

i made my donations early november and i am now absolutely sick of deleting multiple reminders from the charities i have supported for several years .

Ebb Tide, mango, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  18. Kitty

It's not a great time of year to try and raise money from people who mostly don't have enough to manage in the first place, is it.

19. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The giving Tuesday is part of the American Thanksgiving traditions which includes Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Giving Tuesday. OMF is simply taking advantage of this tradition as are other charities. For people who are well off, giving at this time of year provides tax relief.

For most of us sick and relying on insurance or government benefits for years if not decades, charitable giving likely creates hardships, and can be a fine balance between putting food on the table, paying rent and debts, and saving for retirement, and investing in research for a cure.

alktipping, Mij, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  20. Kitty

I know this is an OMF thread, but the emails I get are actually all from UK-based charities. The run-up to Christmas* is when our budgets are most stretched—quite apart from the gift-giving, food-buying, card-sending and Christmas-tree decorating, our heating costs are doubled because it's flipping perishing! I do give when I can, but I've never managed any of the Christmas appeals.

* 'Christmas' starts in mid-October with Diwali gifts and food, runs through Hallowe'en, bonfire night, and Chanukah, and ends on 2/3 January after Hogmanay. I s'pose we could fit Thanksgiving in as well if we absolutely had to... :rofl: