1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion piece: We must ensure that patients and staff are at the heart of health and care services as they restart

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Andy, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/07/2...-of-health-and-care-services-as-they-restart/

https://twitter.com/user/status/1286964691865088000

MEMarge, sebaaa, Sean and 4 others like this.
  2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just want to put it out there that, in order for this to happen, the stakeholders that have all the power need to at least share power or even relinquish some power.

AND, in order to do that they need to step back from an arrogant attitude of being the one who always knows what to do and how to do it.

MEMarge, obeat, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uhhhh, what? Can't really lose something that was never there.

Even as a disgruntled discriminated patient I recognize that for the most part exclusively physician-designed health care services align with patient needs but patients have never played any role whatsoever in the design of those services. The very notion that they should is often mocked as idiotic, most physicians think non-physicians should play no role whatsoever about anything or even voice anything. Hell, many physicians plainly state patients should not even have the right to complain as it's just plain annoying.

And frankly it's the fact that this obvious fiction is stated as fact that is the very reason why it never happens: you don't have to do something you are already pretending to be doing. This reflects very poorly, I might add. Self-awareness is kind of expected from experts.

I am looking forward to the beginning of this massive transformation but it won't happen until the problem is recognized and this does not bode well. Especially for any BPS-dominated service, this will simply never happen as they actually present cruel gaslighting as "shared decision-making". Freedom truly is slavery.

sebaaa, alktipping, Andy and 2 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many physicians also hate the fact that patients have access to medical records too. They (the patients) might spot the mistakes, the omissions, and the insults recorded within.

MEMarge, sebaaa, Sly Saint and 5 others like this.