1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Osteoporosis (bone loss)

Discussion in 'Vitamin B12, D and other deficiencies' started by Sly Saint, Oct 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is probably explain somewhere with in this thread, But can someone explain how I can ensure adequate vitamin K2 levels? Do I simply eat or take the appropriate precursor, or must I take some special extraordinary unusual form if vit K?

2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its found in free range animal meat (more expensive then conventional factory farmed meat) or you can eat Natto which is a Japanese fermented soybeans which to many have an unpleasant taste (this is MK7). Some types of cheese also have MK7. MK4 is found in a few other foods but the high concentration ones are rather exotic like Goose liver pate or Emu oil.
    You can also buy it in tablet or drops. There are two forms, MK7 found in some cheeses and Natto and MK4 found in animals. MK7 does some of the same things as MK4 such as activating osteocalcin and maybe matrix GLA protein and maybe some others while MK4 does these plus many more, some involving the immune system and is stored by the brain, pancreas, liver and a few other places unlike MK7.

3. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If free range meat, what quantity do you need to eat? I have to cut waaay back on the amount I eat, which doesn't leave much room for said meat. Would meat that's sold (well, if the seller is truthful) as grass-fed, grass finished qualify as free range?

4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't have these answers, the amount of K2 in what parts of which animals is not well studied and probably is variable (or may not be at all).
    We do have some clues, as we know grass fed and grass finished leads to higher K2, liver i believe is higher in K2, milk/butter made from animals that are high in K2 has higher K2 levels.
    Free range is probably not necessary but a lifetime of greens consumption probably is.

I have been buying Thorne MK4 drops (1mg/drop), 2 drops a day should be ample K2 and its in the best form. Its pricey but one bottle should last 1.5-2 years

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

There is a thread in the members only area on Osteoporosis and inactivity here.

Subtropical Island and Hutan like this.