Over-representation of Torque Teno Mini Virus 9 (TTMV9) in a Subgroup of Patients with ME/CFS, 2024, Giménez-Orenga, Oltra et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by John Mac, Aug 1, 2024.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now published
    Over-Representation of Torque Teno Mini Virus 9 in a Subgroup of Patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Pilot Study
    Linked in post below
    Karen Giménez-Orenga, Eva Martín-Martínez, Elisa Oltra

Preprint
    Abstract

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a chronic disorder classified by the WHO as postviral fatigue syndrome (ICD-11 8E49 code). Diagnosing ME/CFS, often overlapping with Fibromyalgia (FM), is challenging due to nonspecific symptoms and lack of biomarkers. The etiology of ME/CFS and FM is poorly understood, but evidence suggests viral infections play a critical role. This study employs microarray technology to quantitate viral RNA levels in immune cells from ME/CFS, FM, or co-diagnosed cases, and healthy controls. The results show significant overexpression of the Torque Teno Mini Virus 9 (TTMV9) in a subgroup of ME/CFS patients which correlate with abnormal HERV and immunological profiles. Increased levels of TTMV9 transcripts accurately discriminate this subgroup of ME/CFS patients from the other study groups, showcasing its potential as biomarker for patient stratification and the need for further research into its role in the disease.

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202408.0073/v1

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2024
  2. Murph

Murph Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fascinating little paper.

TTMV9 is an anellovirus. Wikipedia says:

"Their virome has been present in most humans. They enter in the cell early in life and replicate persistently.[8] This happens in the first month of life. It remains debated whether or not the first infection is symptomatic or not, however. They are probably repressed by host immunity, as the anelloviruses increase during host immunosuppression.[5]

The overall prevalence in the general population is over 90% and has been found in all continents.[2] They cause chronic human viral infections that have not yet been associated with disease. There is also no evidence of viral clearance following infection.[5] At least 200 different species are present in humans and animals.[9]

It has been shown that there are multiple methods of transmission such as saliva droplets and maternal or sexual routes.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anelloviridae

To me that hints that TTMv9 prevalence might be downstream of immunosuppression or immune dysregulation.

Separation between patients and controls is strong but not perfect:
    upload_2024-8-2_7-21-36.png

Still this is an intriguing little clue, and if validated it could be a path towards defining a subgroup, which would be extremely helpful in running bigger studies.

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's an interesting theory.

The previous paper is discussed here:HERV activation segregates ME/CFS from FM and defines a novel nosological entity for patients fulfilling both clinical criteria, 2023, Gimenez-Orenga

Of course, a big problem with this study is the size of the samples e.g. only 8 ME/CFS people, and then they divide those 8 into two groups, based on gene and HERV expression from previous work. The dots in the chart posted above show the number of people in each group. With 289 viruses, to have one where the levels are different in the ME/CFS subgroup 2 could be just chance or sampling noise. I think it's another one for the replication pile.

Does this study tell us that all of the viruses that they tested for other than TTMV9 (so coronaviruses, dengue fever, herpes viruses) cannot be part of ME/CFS pathology except for possibly being hit and run triggers? I'm not sure. I haven't got to the discussion yet. Also, they only tested PBMCs. Presumably a virus causing ongoing pathology could be hanging out in other tissue.

4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree, there were only 5 patients in this subgroup.

forestglip, Nightsong, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)