Overlapping Conditions in Long COVID at a Multisite Academic Center, 2024, Grach et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Nightsong, Oct 11, 2024.

1. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Overlapping Conditions in Long COVID at a Multisite Academic Center

Background: Many patients experience persistent symptoms after COVID-19, a syndrome referred to as Long COVID (LC). The goal of this study was to identify novel new or worsening comorbidities self-reported in patients with LC.

Methods: Patients diagnosed with LC (n=732) at the Mayo Long COVID Care Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and Jacksonville, Florida were sent questionnaires to assess the development of new or worsening comorbidities following COVID-19 compared to patients with SARS-CoV-2 that did not develop LC (controls). Both groups were also asked questions screening for myalgic encephalomyelitis/ chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), generalized joint hypermobility (GJH) and orthostatic intolerance. 247 people with LC (33.7%) and 40 controls (50%) responded to the surveys.

Results: In this study LC patients averaged 53 years of age and were predominantly White (95%) women (75%). The greatest prevalence of new or worsening comorbidities following SARS-CoV-2 infection in patients with LC vs. controls reported in this study were pain (94.4% vs. 0%, p<0.001), neurological (92.4% vs. 15.4%, p<0.001), sleep (82.8% vs. 5.3%, p<0.001), skin (69.8% vs. 0%, p<0.001), and genitourinary (60.6% vs. 25.0%, p=0.029) issues. 58% of LC patients screened positive for ME/CFS vs. 0% of controls (p<0.001), 27% positive for GJH compared to 10% of controls (p=0.026), and a positive average score of 4.0 on orthostatic intolerance vs. 0 (p<0.001). The majority of LC patients with ME/CFS were women (77%).

Conclusions: We found that comorbidities across 12 surveyed categories were increased in patients following SARS-CoV-2 infection. Our data also support the overlap of LC with ME/CFS, GJH, and orthostatic intolerance. We discuss the pathophysiologic, research, and clinical implications of identifying these conditions with LC.

Link | PDF (Frontiers in Neurology, open access)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2024 at 6:07 AM
    Hoopoe, Dolphin, Deanne NZ and 5 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am afraid this looks very for quality. Another case of Hutan's finding loads of oranges in a bowl you filled with oranges. This sort of study just perpetuates myths. It even gives a p value for the well people being well (not having ME/CFS symptoms). If this is the Mayo Clinic I don't see any reason to be encouraged.

Sean, alktipping, shak8 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)