PACE trial TSC and TMG minutes released

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by JohnTheJack, Mar 23, 2018.

1. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I do not own a cardigan, a white coat, or a starchy uniform. I feel totally excluded. Can we have some blue dressing-gown references please?

MEMarge, Moosie, 2kidswithME and 9 others like this.
  2. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It might be wise to link to this post when referencing cardigans in future. Similarly, I winced when I first read one of your references to “the girlies”. It was only later, when I read something else you’d written that I realised you were parodying those with sexist views rather than being sexist yourself. But not everybody who reads your posts will be so familiar with your views or sense of humour, and there is a danger of getting what Ricky Gervais has referred to as the “wrong laugh”.

This reminds me of when I was in hospital in 1999. We were told that we couldn’t use mobile phones in the ward because it would interfere with heart-monitoring equipment or something. But for some reason this never seemed to be a problem for doctors’ phones.

Agreed. As I said above, I believe that @Action for M.E. made an error judgment, but that in no way mitigates the responsibility of the PACE authors. They are responsible for the trial design and they are to blame for its failures.

I just feel that it would help AfME and everybody else to move forwards if it were to apologise for the mistakes it has made in the past.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  3. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Haha, in my line of work, the dress code is "wear clothes, preferably clean ones". Actually, the clean part is optional for a lot of academics.

Dressing down is a mark of quality in academia. Wearing a suit makes you look like a phony, like a used car salesman. It is a no-no (except perhaps in commerce and law where the lecturers are often professionals in that area who just do a bit of teaching on the side).

4. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't disagree with this Robert. It would be very helpful. However I think I've already concluded this will never happen and have moved on. Probably due to a lot of cynicism on my part.

Inara, Invisible Woman and Barry like this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The step test is well established (in healthy people at least) and I believe that formula is an empirical one from a linear regression comparing VO2Max with step counts.

Sasha likes this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder why a more solid reference isn't given for it?

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably that it's achieved "textbook status". (not always a good thing :whistle:)

8. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But that's not the one they used. Here are the Petrella equations:
    petrella_equation.png

Compared with the equation quoted by @Sasha:

JohnTheJack, Sly Saint, Trish and 2 others like this.
  9. Sasha

@Lucibee, is it possible that they're measuring something other than VO2max (sorry if that's a stupid question - I can't remember much about this stuff!).

10. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But why would they reference Petrella, and then use a more ambiguous measure of fitness?

This is one of the main problems with trials using tests that they don't then provide details for. Often they can't, because the tests they use have been copyrighted, but it clobbers any attempts at replication, and any validation trails are hard to find.

And I don't know enough about exercise physiology to know what they should have used.

11. Sasha

That's weird (that a test could be copyrighted). But you'd think that they could at least reference the equation and that the equation (and how it was derived, etc.) would be in a peer-reviewed journal - or at least something that people could access and read.

All very odd.

adambeyoncelowe and Trish like this.
  12. Sasha

On the one hand, I'm pleased that they were thinking in terms of submaximal testing (presumably to protect patients) but how illogical to put patients through this kind of fitness testing at all (and have them do the six-minute walking test) and not 'burden' them with actimeters.

13. Karen Kirke

Karen Kirke Established Member (Voting Rights)

Hi everybody! This has led to a useful discussion, I think. Thanks to @Jonathan Edwards for the thoughtful response. The good news is that we agree on what matters; we only differ on just how useful we find the cardigan metaphor.

I should explain that I get the joke! I don’t post much anywhere, because my ME skewers my cognition in a way that scuppers that. If I want to write a letter to the Lancet once a year, I have to not post much and sometimes at all. But I read a lot on S4ME and used to on PR, and was, I believe, possibly even present at the birth of the cardigan metaphor on PR. You just couldn’t see me.

I totally agree that clothing ends up mirroring the power (im-)balance in hospitals. And that imbalance is gendered, as you said, because historically most doctors have been male, and most of those considered lower-ranking, like nurses, have been female. So the clothing ends up being gendered too.

If I understand you correctly, for you, cardigan came to be a symbol for anyone in a more caring or therapeutic role, and those people were lower-ranking than docs. I get that.

Here’s where I think we agree:

If I understand what you’re saying here, it’s that the increases in Chalder Fatigue scores and SF-36 Physical Function scores reported in PACE and similar trials are likely due to the effect of the therapeutic relationship on the patients’ self-reporting rather than the effect of the therapy on the patients’ ME. I agree. I’m not sure what bringing cardigans into it adds, but we are in complete agreement about the substance here.

I think where we start differing in how useful we see the cardigan metaphor to be might be here:

I don’t think delivering CBT and GET involves adopting a new therapeutic be-cardiganned persona. I think that when activity-increasing therapies are used with people with ME, the health professional delivering them often, not always, but often, becomes a-therapeutic or anti-therapeutic in terms of the effect on the patient’s ME. But the health professional delivering them may simultaneously be therapeutic by virtue of their basic therapist skills of listening, caring, encouraging etc.

When you read of the experiences of many people with ME when they did GET or activity-increasing CBT (as opposed to adapting-to-chronic-illness-CBT), as in the ME Association's 2015 survey report, there is often a stark lack of caring, lack of empathy, lack of therapeutic relationship, lack of altering the programme flexibly to suit the needs of the patient. A distinct lack of what you would call cardigan. So this is where the metaphor falls down for me.

To deliver activity-increasing CBT and GET to people with ME, you need to swallow the deconditioning and/or faulty illness belief model. No therapist should ever swallow a model whole. It goes against everything a therapist should be. In my view, to be a good therapist of any kind, you have to begin, middle and end with the patient, not with a bleeping model. You’re informed by models, just as you’re informed by scientific findings, but you don’t blindly adhere to them.

A therapist of any kind, occupational, physio-, speech, psycho-, needs to be free to draw on various models to fit the needs of their patient/client flexibly, and needs to have the clinical judgement to throw any and all of them out when they’re not helping the patient. If you find yourself butting heads with your patient over whether they want to get well or not because you’re so welded to a model that you’ve stopped seeing the patient, you’ve failed horribly.

No health professional should ever swallow anything whole. You have to be constantly questioning everything, checking in with the patient, checking what they're saying and what you're thinking against multiple more objective measures, checking that what you believe to be true is being borne out in response to treatment, very quickly responding when that is not the case.

So for me, if you want cardigan to mean therapist/therapeutic, then it can’t be used to refer to activity-increasing CBT or GET or LP for most people with ME. There is nothing cardiganny about how these are used for most people with ME. Or probably more accurately, the therapeutic and anti-therapeutic elements fight each other out and for a minority of patients, result in increased scores on self-report measures in trials. In your terminology, they’ve been cardiganned. (I also think it’s possible that actual change happens in some cases, but we haven’t seen evidence of this, because it would reside in objectives measures being used and robust literature on spontaneous change over time in ME and CFS.)

For me, the metaphor has just been stretched too far. It has turned into cardigan being used as a byword for poor care, or anti-care. And because cardigan is gendered, since they’re mostly worn by women, this gets a bit more problematic.

Would like to have been able to express this in a more succinct manner, but...brain fog. I hope that what I mean comes through.

2kidswithME, janice, Hutan and 14 others like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hi @Karen Kirke, I enjoyed reading your thoughtful post. I agree with you that the problem with the directive CBT/GET/'changing false illness beliefs' model is nothing to do with good therapy if followed blindly, as the PACE 'therapists' appear to have been instructed to do.

The label CBT is a misnomer in this case - directive CBT like this is actually more like brainwashing, as is LP - trying to persuade the patient to disbelieve their symptoms and 'act well'. There is nothing therapeutic about this.

15. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

So is a therapist wearing a blue cardigan delivering PACE-style CBT, GET or LP a wolf in sheep's clothing?

MEMarge, Moosie, 2kidswithME and 7 others like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think they were mostly cashmere (goat) or angora (rabbit)

17. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Formula looks like a work rate
    Gravitational potential energy is mass x gravity x height, adding time and heart rate looks as though it' s trying to link heart rate to work done. Sort of like heart monitoring ?

18. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Must confess I also felt very uncomfortable with that, but had not appreciated until your post here that it was parodying; humour can be really tricky to get across without the body language backup to spot when it's being misunderstood.

MEMarge likes this.
  19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can fathom some of this.

1 kg => 9.81 newtons of force (at earth gravity, before someone reminds me).
    1 N x 1 m = 1 Nm = 1 joule of energy
    1 j/s = 1 Nm/s = 1 watt of power.

i.e. Needs a steady 9.81 watts of power to lift 1 Kg at constant speed by 1m in 1s.

So the above seems to rationalise to ...

( [9.81 x Body Mass (kg) x total step height (m) / time (s)] (W) ) x 20 / %HRR

applied power x 20 / %HRR

Does that make any sense?

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  20. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it's definitely power divided by change in heart rate (maximum - resting). For two people with the same power (same number of steps in the same time), the number will be higher for the person with the lowest change in heart rate from resting to maximum. For two people with the same heart rate change, the person with the greater power will have higher score. I guess I can see how that may correlate to fitness.

Inara, Barry and Amw66 like this.