Pain Catastrophizing Affects Stair Climbing Ability in Osteo Arthritis (2019), Suzuki, Y et al.

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by shak8, Dec 24, 2019.

1. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I concur.

But they do think they have the experience / imagination to know what it is like to live with chronic pain: It is a psychological manifestation. (And they've got the treatment.)

ladycatlover, MEMarge, Milo and 3 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now let's replicate that using those researchers and a very hot stove and pathologize their reluctance to touch the very hot stove as evidence of catastrophizing. Zero damn common sense.

Newsflash: people want to avoid pain and the more pain they are in the more they will want to avoid it. Works just the same with projectile vomiting or people randomly coming out of nowhere and slapping them in the face super hard.

Are we just not doing causal relationships anymore? Not even a bit? Of all the reasons why psychology needs to keep away from health care, this is the biggest one, it makes the entire field incapable of adding any benefit because it's 100x easier to abuse causality than actually figure out anything meaningful.

ladycatlover, Lidia, shak8 and 5 others like this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

<satire>

Well,that's harsh @rvallee . I mean, it's meaningful to them. Isn't that what counts? I think the more far out and twisted the more interesting it is for them to study. You don't want to bore them. More satanic ritual less environmental toxins have put my hypothalamus out of whack.

And anyway I don't think there's a problem (for them) with the idea that staying away from a hot stove is a good thing. Like intrepid TV heroes (they're everywhere now) they know (absolutely know) that they are the type that will find a spatula to bite down on while treating themselves with (name something that's gonna hurt but be really healing!) and then hit themselves with a frying pan by way of anesthetic (to recuperate). And when they come to they will save us all. ;)