1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathogens Hijack Host Cell Metabolism: Intracellular Infection as a Driver of Warburg Effect in Cancer & Other [...], 2021, Proal & VanElzakker

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Kitty, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pathogens Hijack Host Cell Metabolism: Intracellular Infection as a Driver of the Warburg Effect in Cancer and Other Chronic Inflammatory Conditions

Amy D. Proal and Michael B. VanElzakker, 2021

This hypothesis piece discusses metabolic shift in a broad range of chronic conditions, but as it may well be relevant to ME, I thought it might be okay to post it here.

https://ij.hapres.com/htmls/IJ_1341_Detail.html

"The Warburg effect refers to a metabolic state in which cells preferentially use aerobic glycolysis rather than oxidative phosphorylation to generate ATP and macromolecules. A number of chronic inflammatory conditions are characterized by host cells that adopt a sustained, pathological Warburg-like metabolism. In cancer, previously healthy cells shift into a Warburg state centered on rapid energy production and increased cell proliferation that drives tumor formation...

The question of why host cells in patients with cancer and other chronic inflammatory conditions adapt a pathological Warburg-like metabolism is a matter of debate. This review/hypothesis piece explores how intracellular infection can contribute to this Warburg metabolism or related pathological metabolic states. We detail molecular mechanisms by which viral, bacterial, and protozoan intracellular pathogens can induce, or contribute to, a Warburg-like metabolism in infected host cells in order to meet their own replication and nutritional needs..."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2021
    boolybooly, MEMarge, Mij and 12 others like this.
  2. mat

mat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very interesting hypothesis indeed, especially for the hypothesis of ME as a latent pathogen disease.

Extending this idea in the context of SARS-CoV-2, this paper hasn't been referenced in this survey.

The key role of Warburg effect in SARS-CoV-2 replication and associated inflammatory response
    doi: 10.1016/j.biochi.2020.11.010

boolybooly, cfsandmore, Amw66 and 3 others like this.