1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When Gerada writes post PE, what is she referring to?

hinterland and Kitty like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PE is usually shorthand for physical education, but in this context I think she means pulmonary embolism

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Pulmonary embolism?

4. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like Garner is on the Central Sensitisation bandwagon. I guess he must that it’s a bit of a sturdier bandwagon to be on than the deconditioning bandwagon, which has the wheels falling off.

PS The graphic is from Australia’s outdated 2002 clinical guidelines for CFS. No doubt Australia’s BPS brigade (who are furious that the government agreed that our guidelines need to be updated) are thrilled that someone like Garner is using their work.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1359605463042715649

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I imagine there's supposed to be some sort of coherent idea here but I can't make sense of it, all I see is a bunch of labels and boxes with arrows thrown with no discernable sense.

6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It very much reminds me of when we were pinning up our degree project drawing submissions prior to crits ( where you present and people verbally pull.your design to bits )

One of my year had produced wonderful watercolour renderings . Impressive imagery , but technical content summed up in 2 mins by a year tutor - wonderful presentation, shame the scheme is shit. ...

7. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe if they start thinking instead of drawing arrows through all the organs and systems in the body they will find out it becomes harder and harder to actually make a coherent argument about a plausible disease mechanism that is not entirely superficial

8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The only thing interesting about that diagram is how someone could go to all that effort with the coloured arrows, and the little pictures of the bodily organs in case people weren't sure what they meant by 'heart' etc, and still have 'score throat' listed as a symptom.

9. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As an aside, I hadn't seen this before. Someone on Twitter posted it in response to Gerada's latest nonsense:
    As usual, it's not her fault. Those horrible patients are to blame yet again.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yep. It is now purely a marketing and political exercise to save the arses and incomes.

11. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suppose he had better include that Tweet in the next Cochrane review and analysis of evidence. In 2oo2 they would of course have known so much about Covid that no further comment is considered necessary'

He could be woofing up the wrong tree.

12. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Central sensitisation hypothesis has always struck me as another form of denial of patient symptoms, i.e another incarnation of trying to pretend ME is hysteria.

This is what suits the financial interests because they can say it isnt what it is and dont need to pay for it and the megalo-psychs can continue patient blaming.

From my own experience I think the CNS is affected by ME but ME is not caused by CNS dysfunction.

I doubt that Garner ever had ME of the kind I experienced, he may just have convinced himself he had ME during Covid + Dengue recovery to play Trojan horses for GET which he was already well aware and probably had opinions about because of the reversal of Cochrane on GET, which significantly diminished Cochranes credibility i.e. sour grapes poser.

13. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1359620616291160064

14. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess...

That diagram is yet another from the annals of nonspecific and meaningless medical illustrations. If he thinks it explains anything useful, he doesn't know much about biology.

16. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its the dangerous combination of both thinking you know what you are talking about, speaking from a position of authority and professional realignment .
    Toxic combination

17. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course he didn't, he has recovered-post-infectious Covid, but for some reason he can't let go of the ME dx.

18. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course even if the idea of central dysregulation of homeostatic pathways were correct it does not require one to believe either that psychological stress has caused it to persist nor that thinking oneself well will cure it. They have no evidence for that interpretation.

Yet putting this forward as 'the science bit' seems to allow them believe that their magical thinking concept can be quietly tagged on without notice. Where is their pretty diagram for how the dyregulation persists and how it's cured?

19. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's plucked from chronic pain and fibromyalgia research and passed across as if these things are assumed by some to be the same where they are not. (CS is not understood as being driven by dysfunction psychology in chronic pain).

20. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As if proven when CSS is hypothetical. As if CSS can account for dislocating your jaw when you chew due to inflammation of the TMJ membrane. As if CSS can account for a day of IBS squits because you ate too much pepper. These CSS ideas do not stand up to even a modicum of common sense let alone scientific scrutiny.

And yet it would seem, if I may mix my metaphors, the BPS brigade are well into trying to hoover up all these syndromes (FM TMJ* IBS* etc) which are not well understood using Central Sensitisation Syndrome as a springboard to shoehorn in BPS.

e.g. "Psychosocial Factors and Central Sensitivity Syndromes" Adams & Turk
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4728142/#:~:text=Central sensitivity syndromes (CSSs) represent,being the most prominent feature.
    As far as they are concerned, evidently, its the same blag by a different acronym and as far as I am concerned BPS and CSS are fiction, without a shred of hard evidence.

Another thing which strikes me about this Garner episode besides his own bias is that he has probably been targeted by BPS sycophants because of his role in Cochrane.