PEM discussion thread

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by JaimeS, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum @TinyBird10. I'm sorry that you are experiencing that; it sounds very frustrating.

Most of us are not doctors and none of us can offer you an informed diagnosis - we have a rule that doesn't allow us to provide medical advice, recognising the dangers of us trying to diagnose people from posts. It sounds as though things have become worse for you lately, so it's probably a good idea to get checked out by a doctor again.

We have quite a lot of discussion about post-exertional malaise in this sub-forum, as well as some resources. Hopefully that will give you a better idea about members' experiences of post-exertional malaise. It could be worth checking out your national or state-level ME/CFS patient organisation as they may have resources relevant to where you are. We have some of those organisations listed here. Some have advice-lines staffed by nurses as well as online and face-to-face support groups.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
  2. Deanne NZ

Deanne NZ Established Member (Voting Rights)

I am seeking advice on how to determine if my son is experiencing an extremely long PEM Crash or if his baseline status has now transitioned from being mostly severe to very severe.
    There was a very definite and significant crash that occurred in mid April after several weeks of pushing himself a little too much and immediately preceded by a 2 day family trip out of town. He has very typical PEM symptoms including severe headaches, swollen lymph nodes (2-3cm) on one side of his neck (present entire 11 weeks), increased body wide pain, GI issues, weight loss (down by 6kg to 54kg at height of 6 foot 1 inch) and of course he is bedbound & sleeping much of the time. He is getting increasingly weaker.

How long can a PEM crash last when it is at the more severe end of the spectrum?
    How do you know when it is no longer a crash but signifies reduced baseline?

Mij, Yann04, MeSci and 10 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Oh Deanne, that sounds incredibly difficult. Hugs.
    My son was very ill, essentially bed bound for several months, sleeping much of the time as your son is, before slowly regaining a lot of function. The number of hours of sleep (decreasing) seemed to be a good indication of recovery.

I'd taken on so much of the attitude that our illness was not particularly serious, even though I was struggling with it myself, that I didn't think to get a doctor to come when my son was like that. Well, maybe I thought it, it's all a haze now, but I didn't do it. We'd been to see doctors when my son was able to get to the doctor and they weren't interested.

It is serious and there should be medical help in managing things, especially the nutrition issues. I think the doctors actually need to see these young people. It's so hard, you have to be there to help as soon as they are awake, whenever that is, but there is a lot of waiting, and worrying.

Mij, MeSci, Ravn and 9 others like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm very sorry to read this Deanne. It's difficult to judge and I think the question has been asked whether baseline reductions, especially at the severe to very severe end, represent a rapidly cycling PEM that is essentially static ("rolling PEM"). So until we know more on mechanisms it may not be as important to discriminate. I don't think we can guess how long a baseline reduction might last - potentially it's relatively short in terms of months rather than years. 11 weeks of significantly worse symptoms and weight loss to 54kg (in a 6' 1"" male) are very worrying.

Here's the MUST calculation using data in your post above. https://www.bapen.org.uk/must-and-self-screening/must-calculator/

Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 6.47.59 PM.png Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 6.48.08 PM.png

bobbler, shak8, Mij and 5 others like this.
  5. Deanne NZ

Deanne NZ Established Member (Voting Rights)

@Hutan Thank you for your kind words. It is difficult when you cannot make things better nor give your kids certainty about improvement & timeframes.

@SNT Gatchaman I really appreciate your answer. How you explained it makes sense and until there is more understanding of the mechanism I guess we just work with what we do know, which is not much!
    Thanks for doing the MUST calculation. Yes his weight is a concern and we have been here before and had an appointment with dietician so I am confident we can prevent further loss & hopefully make gains over a few weeks.

We soldier on, as do others here.

bobbler, shak8, Mij and 8 others like this.
  6. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:(:broken_heart:

Very sorry your son and you are having such a tough time @Deanne NZ. I have nothing useful to add to what Hutan and SNT Gatchaman have said already. At your son's age it's not overly helpful to be told to just eat, sleep and be patient taking one day at a time for who knows how long (not easy at any age but I suspect it's harder on the young, and probably also on mothers watching their youngsters suffer)

bobbler, shak8, Mij and 8 others like this.