People with Long Covid and ME/CFS Exhibit Similarly Impaired Balance and Physical Capacity: A Case-Case-Control Study 2023, Hayes et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Jul 24, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Purpose
    Postural sway and physical capacity had not previously been compared between people with long COVID and people with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). Therefore, this study determined postural sway and physical capacity in people with long COVID (∼16 month illness duration; n=21) and ME/CFS (∼16 year illness duration; n=20), versus age-matched healthy controls (n=20).
    Methods
    Postural sway was during a 30 s static stand test. Physical capacity was determined using the timed up and go test and five times sit to stand test. Throughout, participants wore isoinertial measurement units.
    Results
    Postural sway was worse (i.e. greater) in people with long COVID and ME/CFS than controls, but not different between long COVID and ME/CFS. Performance of the timed up and go test and five times sit to stand test were worse in long COVID and ME/CFS than controls, but not different between long COVID and ME/CFS. 87% and 13% of long COVID and ME/CFS participants exceeded the threshold for muscle weakness in the five times sit to stand test and timed up and go test, respectively.
    Conclusions
    These data suggest that both people with long COVID and people with ME/CFS have similarly impaired balance and physical capacity. Therefore, there is an urgent need for interventions to target postural sway and physical capacity in people with ME/CFS, and given the current pandemic, people with long COVID.

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(23)00465-5/fulltext

Missense, Lou B Lou, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sounds ominous. GET anybody?

If anyone has access to the full article - does is suggest what interventions they are recommending?

Missense, Hutan, Dolphin and 2 others like this.
  3. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just skimming the references a bit it looks like they're referring to the old but also new NICE guidelines and also an article by the ME Association that's critical of CBT/GET. I hope these are good signs?

Missense, Sean, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  4. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RedFox, Dolphin and Trish like this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They don't recommend anything specific.

Missense, Dolphin, Lindberg and 7 others like this.
  6. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interventions for balance (which happen for patients with stroke, head injury, other neuro, frail elderly for falls prevention etc.) would not be focused on increasing duration of aerobic activity.
    Activities to work on balance, usually start with more stable positions and the level of support needed and then gradually increase the level of challenge, eg reducing support, reaching outside the base of support, if possible for the patient. Safety would be a major feature.

There would likely be some targeted strengthening of specific muscle groups. Workwell does use some strengthening techniques starting with low number of repetitions/resistance and longer rests between contractions with certain patients.

RedFox and Trish like this.