1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Performance Validity and Outcome of Cognitive Behavior Therapy in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2021, Knoop et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Objective:
    There is limited research examining the impact of the validity of cognitive test performance on treatment outcome. All known studies to date have operationalized performance validity dichotomously, leading to the loss of predictive information. Using the range of scores on a performance validity test (PVT), we hypothesized that lower performance at baseline was related to a worse treatment outcome following cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and to lower adherence to treatment.

Method:
    Archival data of 1081 outpatients treated with CBT for CFS were used in this study. At baseline, all patients were assessed with a PVT, the Amsterdam Short-Term Memory test (ASTM). Questionnaires assessing fatigue, physical disabilities, psychological distress, and level of functional impairment were administered before and after CBT.

Results:
    Our main hypothesis was not confirmed: the total ASTM score was not significantly associated with outcomes at follow-up. However, patients with a missing follow-up assessment had a lower ASTM performance at baseline, reported higher levels of physical limitations, and completed fewer therapy sessions.

Conclusions:
    CFS patients who scored low on the ASTM during baseline assessment are more likely to complete fewer therapy sessions and not to complete follow-up assessment, indicative of limited adherence to treatment. However, if these patients were retained in the intervention, their response to CBT for CFS was comparable with subjects who score high on the ASTM. This finding calls for more research to better understand the impact of performance validity on engagement with treatment and outcomes.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...gue-syndrome/76FE3A1565C22165F1243522C9D53CD9

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

However, if these patients were retained in the intervention, their response to CBT for CFS was comparable with subjects who score high on the ASTM.

Or, sicker people are less able to finish the pointless psycho-drama performance you demand of them.

Not to mention being a lot less willing to waste their precious time and energy doing so. And rightly so.

But that doesn't fit The Narrative, does it.

Also, anybody else find 'retained' an odd way of describing it?

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Locked psychiatric wards maybe?

4. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

"Performance validity" is a concept from neuropsychology. It refers to tests or analyses that are designed to "catch out" people who are faking, or just not putting in the required effort to give a score that reflects their ability. Knoop and chums are trying to justify chucking people out of their CBT and GET trial on the basis that their "performance validity" scores indicate they are not sufficiently engaged. The idea is that their lack of effort will mean they might not engage in the therapy, and might result in them not responding to CBT or GET. Obviously, the authors didn't find that, but of course, they conclude that "further research is needed, so that we can find the outcome we want in some other way."

While I'm sure that there are people who fake disability or try to exaggerate their deficits for monetary gain (perhaps especially in the US). It is very difficult to formulate a single test that can "catch them out". You have to pick something that can't possibly be genuinely impaired in your population. Else the whole enterprise is %$#@ed. The test they used here is a short-term memory test, which could very well be difficult for those with MECFS. So assumption not met. So people scoring low on this measure are probably those with more severe cognitive impairment. Hence the higher dropout rates.

They don't seem to understand that performance validity is an inference that you make across a wide range of different performance measures, not a thing you can assess with just one test.

5. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just one more thing they don't understand!

6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes (I originally read it as 'restrained')

7. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

They are looking for an excuse to dump some people from their participant pool, so they can make their outcomes look better.

They didn't find it here, but rest assured, they will keep looking till they find something that, for whatever reason, allows them to dump people in a way that enhances their results. Its like a more sinister version of p-hacking.

Sean, lycaena, cfsandmore and 9 others like this.
  8. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

If an intervention can't be followed (or patients don't take it seriously enough to follow) then this is a facit of the interverntion and should be reflected in any trial. I think lots of people have pointed out that with GET there is probably a lot of activity substitution as increasing activity isn't going to happen for most. By ignoring those who can't increase activity you select those who can say through natural improvements and obviously get better results.

They seem to have a fundimental belief that its patients not trying rather then their work not working and hence twist their measures towards this and in doing so basically cherry pick those with natural improvements.

RedFox, Sean, cfsandmore and 9 others like this.
  9. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did once stop and refuse to continue a test. I was doing a treadmill test for checks on my heart. I think medical staff were looking for evidence of blocked coronary arteries, but that wasn't what was wrong with me. (It took a different hospital and nearly another year for the problem to be identified and fixed. The treadmill test was being done by the second hospital to try and identify the problem, but the hospital who found the cause of my problems was the third one.) The chest pain I had while doing the treadmill test was so intense that I just couldn't cope with it, so I stopped. This wasn't the first time I'd had such chest pain. I dread to think how that got written up in my medical records. But if I had continued I think I might have gone into heart failure.

RedFox, Sean, cfsandmore and 5 others like this.
  10. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

With nutrition, there is at least the acknowledgement that not everyone can/will adhere to a dietary treatment, and there is little point in prescribing a diet not everyone can follow.

RedFox, Sean, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Denominator-hacking? Cherry-hacking?

12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This

Woolie and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt, Sean and Andy like this.