1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Peripheral endothelial dysfunction in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, 2020, Scherbakov et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ehf2.12633

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2020
    Hutan, lunarainbows, Forbin and 24 others like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Endothelial dysfunction is on my short list of possible explanations for the 2 day CPET findings. During exercise there is a fine dance between sympathetic nervous system vasoconstriction to prevent excessive blood pooling in parts of the body that are not being used, yet sufficient vasodilation in the muscle fibre capillaries.

The device costs around $30,000...

Also note that muscle capillarisation is not dictated by oxidative capacity:
    https://jeb.biologists.org/content/jexbio/218/21/3377.full.pdf

3. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Canadian criteria :thumbsup: Time to check if there is a connection between peripheral endothelial dysfunction and cerebral hypoperfusion?

4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmm the data doesn't look very persuasive.

Why did they choose "A one-tailed P-value of <0.05 was considered statistically significant for clinical scores" I thouht it was standard to use two tailed values. If I understand correctly their choice makes it easier to declare differences as "statistically significant". They also didn't correct for multiple comparisons it seems.

5. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cort has posted a blog on this today (6/9/20).

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...-vessels-arterioles-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

This does seem interesting, as this kind of thing seems consistent with one of the mechanisms that Dr. Systrom has proposed for the excess oxygen in the RBC's returning to the heart, i.e. that a significant percentage of RBC's are shunting around the capillaries in the periphery (probably because they're too narrow). If you add impaired blood cells deformability into then mix, some kind of cellular hypoxia starts to look like a possibility.

I suppose this could cause weakness and possibly pain in the muscles, but it might be more important to ask what might be going on along these lines in the capillaries of the brain.

[ETA: It might even explain why I just stole @Marky's line of thought just two comments above without realizing it. :eek:]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    Sean, lunarainbows, sb4 and 2 others like this.
  6. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

of course there is, I do not understand why it takes them so long, Oaklander talks for 3 years now that SF are important for blood circulation of the brain,... the question is what drives what,... also mitochondria are very important for arterioles function,... we know whats the physical dsyfunction in many already, we do not necessarily need the root cause to treat it,...

Marky likes this.
  7. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

well they are just f**** for different reasons in different people, there is very unlikely one reason for all patients, what we need is trials with stemcells f.e.