Personal experience of using cumin to treat PEM

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by Creekside, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Put in mouth, swallow. Water helps. Some people really hate the taste. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. For the pleasure of doing activities without suffering PEM, I'd put up with fairly awful tastes.

MeSci, Peter Trewhitt and poetinsf like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If in seed form then I'd just make up some Jeera rice, as that contains 1 tsp of cumin seeds, and eat that.

Of course I know this because I make it quite regularly, but I haven't noticed any effect on PEM.

It does go well with a daal tho.

MeSci, shak8, ahimsa and 3 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd choke on that! Not exaggerating, either. :ill:

Come to think of it, a south Asian friend often makes that—I don't have the recipe and hadn't thought about quantities of cumin.

I'm only ever wiped out for a couple of days after eating it, because she lives almost two hours' drive away and I end up staying too long because we don't see enough of each other.

4. poetinsf

poetinsf Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sigh, this folly of anecdote and analogy is keep getting me into trouble. I made up those numbers. I'll make up for it by actually measuring the effect of cumin with coin toss for taking cumin after heavy exertion, and hours spent lying down afterwards.

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

:laugh: A risky thing to do on a science forum!