1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Pilot Study: A Novel Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Sly Saint, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My siblings - both of whom are left-handed - were lucky. Their primary school teachers asked my mother whether she wanted my siblings to be forced to be right-handed and my mother said no, they had to be allowed to use whichever hand they wanted. There is a lot of left-handedness in my extended family. I'm right-handed for some things, including writing, but left-handed for some others.

MeSci and alktipping like this.
  2. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have had numerous rTMS treatments for ME in the UK. The clinic I go to is very conscious of any negative issues and will alter treatment accordingly.

they always warn of the possible side effect of induced seizures. But this is minimal and similar to the warnings when you have an operation ie you might get an infection.

I imagine that private clinics who are working for profit might be more inclined to dismiss any issues as they would lose patients ( and money) if they stopped using the service.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Good grief. Even when I was first diagnosed or undiagnosed I wouldn’t have managed that. I was working 4 days a week when undiagnosed.

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

think this is the same research:
    Female volunteers needed for UCLA Neuromodulation Research Study on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)
    https://digest.dgsom.ucla.edu/diges...utm_campaign=DGSOM Weekly Digest (10/04/2022)

Peter Trewhitt and BrightCandle like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

The UCLA Neuromodulation division at the UCLA Semel Institute is currently seeking participants for a study to analyze how brain stimulation effects symptoms of a condition called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). Participants will receive daily brain stimulation treatments, complete mood surveys, and record up to three(3) brain activity recordings over the course of the study.

Qualifications:

• Are between the ages of 18 and 75

• Female

• Diagnosis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

• Must live within 45 minutes (driving) of UCLA Campus

Participation involves:

• Brain stimulation treatments prescribed 1-3 times daily (Monday-Friday) for 30 visits

• Completion of up three (3) brain activity recordings

• Completion of weekly assessments about mood and mental well-being

FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:

Nikita Vince-Cruz at (310) 825-4781 or email nvincecruz@mednet.ucla.edu

https://digest.dgsom.ucla.edu/digest/posting-view?digest_id=3022&posting_id=5241474&utm_source=website&utm_campaign=DGSOM Weekly Digest (03/14/2023)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2023
    RedFox and oldtimer like this.
  6. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

TMS is a treatment for depression (and not a very good one).

Jaybee00 and Trish like this.
  7. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2023
    RedFox likes this.