Poor sleep quality may trigger cognitive deficits after recovery from COVID-19, 2024, Carnes-Vendrell et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jun 12, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Poor sleep quality may trigger cognitive deficits after recovery from COVID-19
    Carnes-Vendrell, A.; Piñol-Ripoll, G.; Ariza, M.; Cano, N.; Segura, B.; Junque, C.; Béjar, J.; Barrue, C.; Garolera, M.; , Nautilus Project Collaborative Group; Arauzo, Vanesa; Bernia, Jose A.; Balague-Marmaña, Marta; Valles-Pauls, Berta; Caballero, Jesús; Gonzalez-Aguado, Ester; Tayó-Juli, Carme; Forcadell-Ferreres, Eva; Reverte-Vilarroya, Silvia; Forné, Susanna; Bartes-Plans, Anna; Muñoz-Padros, Jordina; Muñoz-Moreno, Jose A.; Prats-Paris, Anna; Rico, Inmaculada; Sabé, Nuria; Almeria, Marta; Casas, Laura; Ciudad, Maria José; Ferré, Anna; Garzon, Tamar; Lozano, Manuela; Cullell, Marta; Vega, Sonia; Alsina, Sílvia; Maldonado-Belmonte, Maria J.; Vazquez-Rivera, Susana; Baillès, Eva; Navarro, Sandra; Hernández, Ayoze González; Molina, Yaiza; Olive, Victoria; Cañizares, Silvia

OBJECTIVES
    In the present study, we aimed to assess the cognition of postCOVID-19 condition (PCC) participants in relation to their subjective sleep quality (Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index, PSQI) and to analyse possible moderators of this effect, such as quality of life (European Quality of Life-5 Dimensions, EQ5D), fatigue (Chadler Fatigue Questionnaire, CFQ), cognitive reserve (Cognitive Reserve Questionnaire, CRC), and subjective cognitive complaints (Memory Failures of Everyday Questionnaire, MFE-30).

METHODS
    We included 373 individuals with PCC and 126 healthy controls (HCs) from the NAUTILUS Project (NCT05307549 and NCT05307575) who were assessed with a comprehensive neuropsychological battery and various questionnaires.

RESULTS
    We found that PCC participants with poor sleep quality had a 4.3% greater risk of immediate verbal memory deficits than those with good sleep quality, as indicated by the greater odds ratio (OR) of 1.043 and confidence interval (CI) of 1.023–1.063. Additionally, their risk of immediate verbal memory disorders was multiplied by 2.4 when their EQ-5D score was low (OR 0.33; CI 0.145–0.748), and they had a lower risk of delayed visual memory deficits with a greater CRC (OR 0.963; CI 0.929–0.999). With respect to processing speed, PCC participants with poor sleep quality had a 6.7% greater risk of deficits as the MFE increased (OR 1.059; CI 1.024–1.096), and the risk of slowed processing speed tripled with a lower EQ-5D (OR 0.021; CI 0.003–0.141).

CONCLUSIONS
    These results indicate that poor subjective sleep quality is a potential trigger for cognitive deficits. Therapeutic strategies to maximize sleep quality could include reducing sleep disturbances and perhaps cognitive impairment in PCC individuals.

Link | PDF (Frontiers in Psychology) [Open Access]

Kiwipom, Peter Trewhitt and Michelle like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt, Eleanor and Sean like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would have thought that this holds for many conditions , if not generally.
    When my sleep is affected my cognitive abilities tank ( and I don't have ME).

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It seems pointless to do such detailed cognitive testing but to rely on self reports for sleep quality.

5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Optimizing sleep quality and pain syndromes was the only treatment my M.E doctor offered over 30yrs ago. He prescribed whatever it took to achieve optimal quality of sleep. No testing required.