1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 and Cardiovascular Autonomic Dysfunction: What Do We Know?, 2021, Bisaccia et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by mango, Nov 15, 2021.

1. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 and Cardiovascular Autonomic Dysfunction: What Do We Know?

by Giandomenico Bisaccia, Fabrizio Ricci, Vittoria Recce, Antonio Serio, Giovanni Iannetti, Anwar A. Chahal, Marcus Ståhlberg, Mohammed Yunus Khanji, Artur Fedorowski, and Sabina Gallina

"Abstract

Post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 (PASC), or long COVID syndrome, is emerging as a major health issue in patients with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Symptoms commonly experienced by patients include fatigue, palpitations, chest pain, dyspnea, reduced exercise tolerance, and “brain fog”.

Additionally, symptoms of orthostatic intolerance and syncope suggest the involvement of the autonomic nervous system.

Signs of cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction appear to be common in PASC and are similar to those observed in postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome and inappropriate sinus tachycardia.

In this review, we report on the epidemiology of PASC, discuss current evidence and possible mechanisms underpinning the dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system, and suggest nonpharmacological and pharmacological interventions to treat and relieve symptoms of PASC-associated dysautonomia.

Keywords: COVID-19; cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction; long COVID syndrome; PASC; postural orthostatic tachycardia; post-acute sequelae; autoimmunity"

https://www.mdpi.com/2308-3425/8/11/156

Forbin, Sean, Anna H and 1 other person like this.
  2. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmmm...

If nothing else, this seems to presume that patients with PASC are deconditioned - but aren't there people getting PASC well after having recovered from Covid, or subsequent to asymptomatic Covid? How are they instantly getting deconditioned?

I had recovered from the infection that presumably triggered my ME and was feeling well when I got these very PASC/Long covid-like symptoms out of the blue. ME may have deconditioned me over time, but deconditioning could not have been the cause of the dysautonomia that set in virtually at onset.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021