1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Implications of Mammalian Transient Receptor Potential Melastatin 7 in the Pathophysiology of ME/CFS, 2021, Du Preez, Staines et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    The transient receptor potential (TRP) superfamily of ion channels is involved in the molecular mechanisms that mediate neuroimmune interactions and activities. Recent advancements in neuroimmunology have identified a role for TRP cation channels in several neuroimmune disorders including amyotropic lateral sclerosis, multiple sclerosis, and myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

ME/CFS is a debilitating disorder with an obscure aetiology, hence considerable examination of its pathobiology is warranted. Dysregulation of TRP melastatin (TRPM) subfamily members and calcium signalling processes are implicated in the neurological, immunological, cardiovascular, and metabolic impairments inherent in ME/CFS. In this review, we present TRPM7 as a potential candidate in the pathomechanism of ME/CFS, as TRPM7 is increasingly recognized as a key mediator of physiological and pathophysiological mechanisms affecting neurological, immunological, cardiovascular, and metabolic processes. A focused examination of the biochemistry of TRPM7, the role of this protein in the aforementioned systems, and the potential of TRPM7 as a molecular mechanism in the pathophysiology of ME/CFS will be discussed in this review. TRPM7 is a compelling candidate to examine in the pathobiology of ME/CFS as TRPM7 fulfils several key roles in multiple organ systems, and there is a paucity of literature reporting on its role in ME/CFS.

https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/18/20/10708

Hutan, Lidia, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like a good candidate for further investigation. My brief skim made it sound like magnesium supplementation should have an effect, but I haven't noticed any, but maybe it's not that simple.

cfsandmore and alktipping like this.
  3. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I recall that Wenzhong Xiao (OMF) gave a presentation at the OMF Symposium which basically stated that the genetics didn't support the proposed role of TRP receptors in MECFS? I think they examined whether variations (SNIPs) in the TRIP receptor gene were related to ME/CFS - big no?

I'm wondering if the DecodeME will test whether TRIP receptor genes are relevant to ME/CFS @Simon M

cfsandmore and Simon M like this.