1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

“I feel like my body is broken”: Exploring the experiences of people living with long COVID, 2022, Wurz et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Wyva, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Background: Long COVID, an illness affecting a subset of individuals after COVID-19, is distressing and poorly understood. Exploring the experiences of people with long COVID could help inform current conceptualizations of the illness, guide supportive care strategies, and validate patients’ perspectives on the condition. Thus, the objective of this study was to better understand and explore individuals’ experiences with long COVID and commonly reported symptoms, using qualitative data collected from open-ended survey responses.

Methods: Data were collected from adults living with long COVID following a confirmed or suspected SARS-CoV-2 infection who participated in a larger observational, online survey. Within the larger survey, participants had the option of answering seven open-ended items. Data from the open-ended items were analyzed following guidelines for reflective thematic analysis.

Results: From the 213 who were included in the online survey, 169 participants who primarily self-identified as women (88.2%), aged 40-49 (33.1%), and who had been experiencing long COVID symptoms for ≥ 6 months (58.6%) responded to the open-ended questions. Four overlapping and interconnected themes were identified: (1) My long COVID symptoms are numerous, hard to describe, and debilitating, (2) All aspects of my day-to-day functioning have been impacted, (3) I can no longer be physically active, and (4) I keep asking for help, but no one is listening, and very little is working.

Conclusion: Findings highlight the complex nature of long COVID and show the ways in which individuals affected by the illness are negatively impacted. Participants recounted struggling and altering their daily activities while managing relapsing-remitting symptoms, an uncertain prognosis, lost pre-COVID identities, and a healthcare system (that does not always offer guidance nor take them seriously). More support and recognition for the condition are needed to help this cohort navigate the process of adapting to long COVID.

Open access: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.20.22269617v1

2. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

If this is already posted, please remove.

News Medical: "Study explores individuals’ experiences with long COVID"

“The main theme of the responses was the feeling of being out of harmony with society, workplace culture, family life, and personal identity. The participants described the resulting feelings of grief, loss, frustration, and longing. This phenomenon has been described with other debilitating conditions such as fibromyalgia and myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).”

”Even more, it is necessary to understand and describe how the failure of the healthcare system to recognize this condition (again, a response seen with ME/CFS) contributed heavily to the burden of the patients. Such a failure could have been due to the diversity and fluctuation in symptomatology between patients and at different times and the lack of definition of the condition.”

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2022
    shak8, Snow Leopard and Kalliope like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Now published

Abstract

Purpose
    Long COVID, an illness affecting a subset of individuals after COVID-19, is distressing, poorly understood, and reduces quality of life. The objective of this sub-study was to better understand and explore individuals' experiences with long COVID and commonly reported symptoms, using qualitative data collected from open-ended survey responses.

Methods
    Data were collected from adults living with long COVID who participated in a larger observational online survey. Participants had the option of answering seven open-ended items. Data from the open-ended items were analyzed following guidelines for reflective thematic analysis.

Results
    From 213 participants who were included in the online survey, 169 participants who primarily self-identified as women (88.2%), aged 40–49 (33.1%), who had been experiencing long COVID symptoms for ≥ 6 months (74%) provided open-ended responses. Four overlapping and interconnected themes were identified: (1) Long COVID symptoms are numerous and wearing, (2) The effects of long COVID are pervasive, (3) Physical activity is difficult and, in some cases, not possible, and (4) Asking for help when few are listening, and little is working.

Conclusion
    Findings reaffirm prior research, highlighting the complex nature of long COVID. Further, results show the ways individuals affected by the illness are negatively impacted and have had to alter their daily activities. Participants recounted the challenges faced when advocating for themselves, adapting to new limitations, and navigating healthcare systems. The varied relapsing–remitting symptoms, unknown prognosis, and deep sense of loss over one's prior identity suggest interventions are needed to support this population.

Open access, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11136-022-03176-1

Peter Trewhitt likes this.