Prolonged platelet hyperactivity after COVID-19 infection, 2023, Nara et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Oct 12, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prolonged platelet hyperactivity after COVID-19 infection
    Noriko Nara; Mie Shimizu; Masahiro Yamamoto; Tomoki Nakamizo; Azusa Hayakawa; Ken Johkura

Platelet hyperactivity often occurs in patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). However, it remains unclear how long platelet hyperactivity lasts after the acute phase, owing to a lack of follow-up studies. To elucidate the course of platelet hyperactivity, we serially measured platelet activity in patients with COVID-19 up to 40 days after hospital admission using an easily assessable haematology analyser that semi-quantitates platelet clumps on a scattergram.

Our results showed that platelet hyperactivity persisted for at least 40 days even after acute inflammation subsided in most patients with COVID-19, regardless of disease severity. Persistent platelet hyperactivity may contribute to thromboembolic complications in post-COVID-19 patients.

Link | Paywall (British Journal of Haematology)

Ash, chillier, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

Liberal selected quotes —

Ash, Hutan and EndME like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

4. SNT Gatchaman

5. SNT Gatchaman

obeat, Ash, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  6. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for sharing and summarising @SNT Gatchaman. Do you have details on the sample size?

Ash, Sean, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  7. SNT Gatchaman

8. SNT Gatchaman

63 vs 67 HC, see post #3.

9. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you! I saw the number of healthy controls but couldn't find the number of patients with Covid.

SNT Gatchaman likes this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman

Ash and Hutan like this.
  11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Interesting , thank you SNT.

They say 2/3 of the post-Covid people had the platelet clumps at day 40. What percentage of the healthy controls had platelet clumps at day 40? They also say that the likelihood of having the platelet clumps at day 40 was aligned with acute disease severity (but not other things like co-morbidities).

They also say that the platelet neutrophil aggregates (which didn't occur at all in the healthy control reference group) had decreased a lot by day 40. But a rate of 9.5% for these platelet neutrophil aggregates actually is in the ball park that could be interesting to us.

It is an interesting idea that the standard blood preparation techniques might be removing the clumps and aggregates.

There is the issue of low ESRs (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rates) possibly being more common in people with ME/CFS and yet there is also the idea of sticky, clumping blood. A low ESR means that it takes a long time for the red blood cells to settle out of blood. While acknowledging that the idea of low ESRs in ME/CFS may not have good data behind it, how do we reconcile even normal ESRs (i.e. no evidence of high ESRs being an ME/CFS feature) with a hypothesis of platelet hyperactivity or these platelet neutrophil aggregates being important? Does an ESR test involve the addition of so much anti-coagulation additive that it stops any possibility of platelet clumps or platelet neutrophil aggregates?

Ash, Sean and EndME like this.
  12. SNT Gatchaman

HCs (uninfected) didn't have a day 40, instead they were a historical group with a single normal baseline data set.

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.05.28 PM Medium.jpeg Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.05.34 PM Medium.jpeg Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.05.41 PM Medium.jpeg Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.06.15 PM Large.jpeg

Ash, Sean and Hutan like this.
  13. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Ah, of course. Thanks for the pictures.

I understand why the investigators used the historical group, so as to avoid confounding with asymptomatic infections, but it does increase the possibility of some confounding with different experimental techniques. It will be great to see some replication of this, especially in mild-acute Long covid cases.

Are the methods for measuring the platelet hyperactivity and neutrophil aggregates something that other researchers can easily copy?

A Japanese team.

Ash and EndME like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

Broadly I would expect yes. There's a bit of subjectivity in the assessment —

Figure 1 is in my post above, S1 and S2 below. I think you can download the supplementary material, non-paywalled here.

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 7.00.49 PM Medium.jpeg Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 7.01.10 PM Medium.jpeg Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 7.01.59 PM Medium.jpeg

Ash, Sean and Hutan like this.
  15. SNT Gatchaman

Open access commentary on this paper in Br J Haematology —

Post-COVID-19 thrombotic sequelae: The potential role of persistent platelet hyperactivity (2023)

Michelle and EndME like this.