1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychology today: Post-Infection Illness

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

by

Ilene S. Ruhoy M.D., Ph.D.
    Your Neurology

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/your-neurology/202201/post-infection-illness

Kalliope, Lisa108, Forbin and 15 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought this was a good article for an audience that is not familiar with the topic.

Forbin, Sean, TigerLilea and 9 others like this.
  3. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Title aside. There is an assumption embedded in "post-infection" that also leads the reader. Set aside the assumptions and medical politics and let the Science (theory) write the article. For instance, I might as an alternative to post-infection try post-acute illness.

But agreed, pretty good piece.

Forbin, DokaGirl, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good article which will as @strategist says reach some who don't know about this issue.

Interesting, that even mild COVID symptoms can lead to Long COVID which turns one's health and life upside down. That's how EBV was for me: not dramatic, not horrible, but left me with debilitating ME for over 3 decades, and counting.

As an aside, when I was diagnosed as hypothyroid, I was told it might have been caused by a virus.

However, my ME was just considered burn out or psychological, despite testing positive for EBV.

Plainly, there has been the idea that viruses can cause organ dysfunction, but the mistaken view that ME is psychological has long been preferred, as it serves a purpose for the insurance industry and governments.

Forbin, duncan, Florence and 5 others like this.
  5. glennthefrog

glennthefrog Established Member (Voting Rights)

exactly, just follow the money

6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find the early push to regard ME as neurasthenia by another name interesting in view of a find which I recently made.

The diagnosis (neurasthenia) brings with it no appreciable insight into pathology, frequently it has the special defect of guarding the patient against further detailed investigation ; in many neurological quarters the term is indeed falhng into disuse, as it is lacking in exactitude of expression.

This was written by Thomas Lewis in 1918 and appears at p48 of The soldier's heart and the effort syndrome. He recognised that many of the symptoms he described arose after infectious illness.

Forbin, Amw66, Sean and 13 others like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This separation is strange - we see examples of both in both children and adults.

Forbin, Sean, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  8. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @chrisb. This is interesting. And is an example of how very long it takes for medical science to overcome beliefs that the fault lies entirely with some patients when they become ill.

I think it is sad that neurasthenia patients haven't been "cleared of the charges" they were attention seeking, lazy, and psychologically challenged.

9. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was trying to think of something even more general that would include "injury" (which is not generally referred to as an "illness") and toxic exposure (which might not cause an acute illness). Both injury and toxic exposure seem to have triggered ME/CFS in some people.

The thing that seems common to all the triggers is the likelihood of a significant immune response. That immune response might initially go unnoticed, as seems to have been the case in some long-Covid cases. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/08/health/long-covid-asymptomatic.html

I'm not sure what that would be called. "Post-immune excursion"? Post-immune perturbation"? "Post-immune challenge"?

DokaGirl, duncan and Peter Trewhitt like this.