Publication of the NICE ME/CFS guideline after the pause (comment starting from the announcement of 20 October 2021)

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Sly Saint, Oct 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ok, sorry, it's my perception, that they settle - which of course may be incorrect. I'm sure a lot of work is done to try to get more, and perhaps I expect too much with historical headwinds against them representing a group of patients that has been so marginalised for so long.

I suspect we could have a whole thread on the charities, but, I think the point I digressed from, maybe rather clumsily, was that this will be a test for them; arguably, the single biggest event to happen in ME circles for decades, let’s see how successful their media campaign is.

Jan, Louie41, Invisible Woman and 2 others like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not intentional, I think it's the champagne already working (I've started ahead of midnight, in case some new weird pause occurs) (I corrected before seeing your reply, sorry!)

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess I'll be celebrating tomorrow :). The CBT/GET paradigm is coming to an end and that is good news for everyone.

EzzieD, Jan, Binkie4 and 8 others like this.
  4. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

;)

We've had a bottle of champagne sitting in the bottom of a wardrobe since 2010. We bought it to celebrate the final payment on our mortgage but a domestic crisis intervened and we didn't feel much like opening it. And there it still sits. Do you think an eleven year old bottle of not very expensive champagne might still be drinkable or as flat as a pancake?

EzzieD, Ebb Tide, rainy and 11 others like this.
  5. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah absolutely.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Only one way to find out ...

EzzieD, Ebb Tide, Jan and 9 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

As you will see here:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/uk-ni...th-october-post-publication-discussion.22996/
    A thread has been set up for discussion of the guideline once it is published. The thread will then be unlocked and members will be free to add their general comments on the new guideline to that thread, as well as links to media articles etc.

Threads for discussion of specific sections of the guideline are prepared and will be moved to the members only area once the guideline is published.

Joh, It's M.E. Linda, EzzieD and 14 others like this.
  8. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exeter hospital is near me and that is where David Strain works (although not in neurology), so I am considering asking to be referred there. I wouldn't go for anything to my local hospital in Taunton as they are appallingly incompetent. Both Bristol and Plymouth have FND clinics and spout woo on their websites.

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/news/meet-our-new-medical-advisor,-dr-david-strain/

My GP is happy to send me any draft referral letters where I can highlight parts I am not happy about and make my own suggestions. I am still sitting on her (far from perfect) draft from 2016.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  9. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wouldn't be seeing them for ME, my neurological symptoms are not the common ones seen in ME. I can't get life insurance without them being investigated further (doctor from Aviva's response after seeing all the many pages of my GP medical report that was sent to them in 2016).

10. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some positive and good news from Suffolk.

Our wonderful Commissioning Team have programmed ME Service development for next Tuesday's Meeting of the local Alliance.

Our Deputy Director of Performance Improvement · NHS Ipswich and East Suffolk, North East Essex and West Suffolk CCGs NHS Ipswich and East Suffolk and West Suffolk Clinical Commissioning Groups will be presenting a paper (outlining our suggested co produced service model) under her Winter Statement slot!
    So hot off the press NG 206 will be very welcome!

11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Depends how fussy you are ... :)

12. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Champagne is drinkable?

Never found it to be so.

I thought it was just one of the things people open as part of a celebration, so others can see they are feeling celebratory. Same sort of thing as Christmas pudding, gotta have it at Christmas, just so people know your celebrating Christmas, regardless of the usual 'orribleness of it.

:rofl:

13. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I gather the embargo on the finally-to-be-published guideline is lifted from a minute after midnight tonight.

14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Or more precisely, at the moment NICE publishes the guideline.

15. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did end up with quite a thick file but not by choice.

Even after diagnosis my GP at the time kept referring me for rule out consultation at every new symptom. I had to put my foot down and refuse to go to any more in the end. I was worn out with it.

It wasn't that I was seeing him that often but every time I saw him he sent me off to.someone else. I eventually found out the local health trust were getting very annoyed with him because he had developed a bit of a reputation for this at the local hospitals.

At a later appointment, a consultant told me he knew my problems were all in my head because of the thickness of my file. If I had all those things wrong I'd be dead he claimed.

Extremely annoyed, I suggested he check the reputation of the by now retired GP who went to out pasture under something of a cloud and the excessive referrals were part of that.

So even where there is a thick file, its not necessarily that the patient went looking for referrals or anything beyond someone just confirming what they were experiencing was part of ME.

This was back before t'interweb and pwME weren't supposed to talk to each other.

16. AknaMontes

AknaMontes Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just checked my whisky and it's fine. (grins) The first time I see the guideline up on NICE's site, I'll raise a glass here and say a huge thanks to everyone who contributed, for all their endeavours.

17. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So I’m not the only one planning on checking just after midnight then?

18. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it now too late to register as a person holding a steak?

coz the option still seems to be available.

19. AknaMontes

AknaMontes Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Refreshing...

Edit: too soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.