1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question: Coronavirus & home sewn masks?

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Keela Too, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2020
    Alton, Yessica, AliceLily and 3 others like this.
  3. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hiii, not sure which thread to put this in. Hope this ones ok.

An easy way to make surgical masks fit tighter so air does not leak on the sides:

https://www.today.com/health/how-make-mask-fit-better-how-wear-surgical-mask-t189236

I tried it. It works!:)

JaneL, MarcNotMark, Mithriel and 5 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Michelle, JaneL, ahimsa and 6 others like this.
  5. Keela Too

AliceLily, Simbindi, Yessica and 8 others like this.
  6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gosh that awful checked fabric with movement in front of it.... ugh it's impossible to look at but the finished mask looks a good fit, it it a good fit over the nose. I see so many masks perched on the end of people's noses with huge gaps either side of the nose - almost a waste of time wearing them when all the air can escape.

7. Keela Too

I made the mask from the video above. It’s quite quick to make, but I didn’t find it comfortable as it presses on my nose. Back to the old shaped version I’ve been making.

ie this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDYXW2CRpFc

Amw66, AliceLily, JemPD and 4 others like this.
  8. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Keela Too
    With masks compulsory in Melbourne for the last 4 months and for some time to come, it suddenly became important to get it right. I've done a fair bit of experimenting over the year and I think your version is by far the most comfortable. The only pressure I can stand on my nose is right at the top.

The nose clamp gave me problems but I've settled on a shaped paperclip for the best seal. The paperclip took some wangling with a couple of pliers to get it right so my glasses never fog up. I sewed a little pocket on the outside at the top so I could take it in and out easily to test.

The only other type I use is the standard blue medical mask with a tissue across the top to prevent fogging. That works well.

@JemPD
    Those masks that sit at the end of the nose seem pointless to me too. And they must be uncomfortable because the wearers are constantly hitching them up, touching the mask as they do so. I give the wearers an extra wide berth.

9. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yeah :rolleyes:my carer does it... but she's so stressed by the whole situation I cant really point it out without getting my head bitten off lol. I cant give her a wide birth, but she only wears cloth ones outside... She wears an FFP2 indoors which are shaped & i wear one all the time i in contact with her inside & out, as well as very big glasses, so not too worried.

10. Sean

We have not needed masks here, so far, fingers crossed. But I have some just in case.

The best thing I have found for the nose bridge wire is standard electrical cable used in house wiring. Not the flexible stuff used in appliance and extension cords, but the stuff used behind the walls. The copper wire used in that is made of fewer strands which are thicker and stiffer, and so it holds it shape better. Also comes with a convenient plastic coating that makes it thicker, helps round off and 'soften' it a bit, and keep the copper from direct contact with the material.

11. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Sean
    That's something I'll definitely try. Thanks for the suggestion:)

AliceLily, ladycatlover and Sean like this.
  12. Sean

Forgot to say that, in Australia at least, the two most common sizes of building wiring cable are 1.5 and 2.5 mm^2.

The 1.5 is for lights and fans, the 2.5 is for power points.

I am using the 2.5.

AliceLily and oldtimer like this.
  13. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't posted on here for a while, so here's what I've been up to over the summer:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1297554247454724096

I've made nearly 200 of the things now!

I use aluminium nose strips or rubber-coated soft garden ties for nose shaping. Having the elastic travelling through a channel at the side of the mask also helps fit.

Loads in my stash if anyone still wants one...

Yessica, MEMarge, Amw66 and 15 others like this.
  14. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Lucibee, your masks are beautiful! I love the patterns.

16. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perrier and Sean like this.
  17. Keela Too

NelliePledge likes this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There doesn't seem to be anything to support the headline in that piece. Moreover, it seems to focus on how well the mask protects the wearer. I thought we had all agreed long ago that the point of masks was to protect other people from the wearer. It seems pretty unhelpful.

MEMarge, TrixieStix, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  19. Sean

Yessica likes this.
  20. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did I mention that, in the UK, Terracycle has set up a mask recycling scheme? Not, of course, for masks used in a clinical setting, but for the ones that "normal" people use when out and about, and getting on public transport, and so on.

EDIT: Sorry, probably not the appropriate thread for that comment, since it relates to home-made masks, but I can't find the other one these days.

Michelle and mango like this.