1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question: Coronavirus & home sewn masks?

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Keela Too, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone know of anyone in the U.S. making homemade masks?

I've gone thru etsy a few times and numerous other sites from internet searches yet haven't done well.

Over a year into this and still haven't been able to get masks that meet me my needs.

I've cut out some, they don't fit well, have to keep stuffomg them for air leaks. :( Don't have the ability to rectify this or do more. I really need some nicely made ones. It would make my life so much easier.

Due to my chemical sensitivity and allergies, I need a fragrance-free environment and with no animals for them to be made in. And for material not to be pre-washed or ironed.

Also looking for 3-ply, cotton and poly cotton in one of the layers. Thank you if you know of any. I've spent tooo many hours searching and money I don't have to waste on masks that aren't what they say they are or have an odor I can't get out.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    MEMarge likes this.
  2. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect you will struggle to find a supplier where this is the case. I have to wash the fabric for mine to ensure they are preshrunk and clean before I make and send them to anyone. However, I do use a fragrance-free washing powder. Ironing is a (very necessary) part of the making process.

I still have lots available if you want to give them a try? I don't think there are any restrictions on sending such items from the UK to the USA... are there?

Or maybe use the masks you've tried to make as pretty covers for N95 respirator-type mask?

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Yessica and Trish like this.