Randomized Trial of Ivabradine in Patients With Hyperadrenergic [POTS], 2021, Taub et al

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by Ryan31337, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paywall, https://www.jacc.org/doi/full/10.1016/j.jacc.2020.12.029

sb4, mango, Milo and 9 others like this.
  2. Ryan31337

Pleased to see some higher quality evidence for use of Ivabradine in POTS.

Its been prescribed by the experts for years, I have been taking it since 2016 with good results.

I'm glad to see some acknowledgment of it lowering NE levels too - something that is rarely mentioned in the literature but has been very clear to me as a patient. Most descriptions of Ivabradine go the other way, suggesting its highly selective and only affects heart rate. The only references I ever found to it having an impact on stress hormones were some animal studies and one human study, where it was used in surgical procedures. It has a profound effect reducing the "wired but tired" sensations for me.

The editorial comment from Raj is interesting too:
    Higher Quality Evidence to Guide Our Management of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: A New Era?
    https://www.jacc.org/doi/10.1016/j.jacc.2020.12.028

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    SNT Gatchaman, mango, Milo and 12 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting this @Ryan31337.

I haven't read the paper itself, but it does look like a nice study, and the editorial is indeed interesting.
    It would be great to get some trials done in people with ME/CFS with strong orthostatic intolerance symptoms.

Chris, Binkie4, mango and 3 others like this.
  4. Ryan31337

MEMarge, Chris, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.