1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Research charities' policies on funding research that uses animals

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by MeSci, Oct 18, 2021.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wanted to donate to research which does not use non-human animals, so emailed ME Research UK to ask whether they did. They replied with a link to this page (indirectly) https://www.meresearch.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Standard-Grant-Conditions-2021.pdf which says "ME Research UK will not normally fund research which involves the use of animals."

I campaigned for many years against animal research, including studying medical science to Masters level and challenging the head of science at my university, as it does not provide evidence for humans, and is grossly cruel (much more than is normally revealed).

I was happy (for now) with ME Research's reply, so have donated to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2021
  2. daftasabrush

daftasabrush Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I believe Invest in ME Research has never funded animal research either. Nor the Open Medicine Foundation, though they have used animal products in their research and might not have a policy against it. OMF have created a cell based model to mimic post-exertional malaise using human blood from patients vs controls (nanoneedle study).

I believe that the thinking is to use cell based technology for testing, which will be much faster, as well as more accurate and far less cruel. There is also no "animal model" of ME.

Wyva, ladycatlover, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately there are some used - in other countries if my memory serves me right.

Wyva, ladycatlover and Louie41 like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are models that are claimed to be animal models of "chronic fatigue", but they aren't very plausible/similar to real human cases.

FMMM1, MeSci, Invisible Woman and 3 others like this.