Resources for help getting food during quarantine and safe handling of food

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Yessica, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We figured that if you remove the outer leaves of most lettuces the stuff inside should be free of contamination - especially for a cos or romaine.

2. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course, Canada Post should get their act together, as they say. When UPS wants duty they mail us a letter. As soon as this incident occurred with the postman, I tore off my clothes, jumped into a shower and lathered up, changed clothes, and did a neti pot--but who knows? I was at my Mother's actually, and had not set things up there--in our house I have an N95 and gloves at the door and leave packages in the vestibule for 3-5 days before touching. She lives in the house next door to ours and I was cleaning there, as the cleaning help is not coming anymore. Have to be on guard at every moment--

3. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ok thank you. I will tear off more of the outer leaves from now. I also use tomatoes and avocado in the salad, but lather these up. Should I be peeling the skins off the tomatoes: I used to do this years ago.

ladycatlover likes this.
  4. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been wiping down all my groceries with bleach water (1/3 cup to 1 gallon water) and have had no issues. I even dunk my bananas and pineapples in it.

AliceLily, Roy S and Mij like this.
  5. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While out this morning I saw one of those shipping containers where testing for covid19 takes place. It was right outside my doctors surgery. So, handy to know it is there but I hope I will not need to visit it.

I had to wait a half hour in line at the supermarket this morning, the majority in line were wearing a mask and keeping distance. I had to sit on the kerb because standing became far too much. There was only one other person who also sat down.

I've soaked all the fruit in soapy water and rinsed. I still have the pumpkin, ice cream cone packet, potato chip to wipe down. So laborious, but I know it should be done.

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't worry - I was just joking about supermarkets screening workers and sterilise goods. My wishful thinking has not deluded me that badly.

ladycatlover, Simbindi, JaneL and 3 others like this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fortunately when I went with a friend there was no waiting. I found that being extra careful and trying to follow the new 'rules' drained my cognition. I was a little scatter brained when I got home. Anything outside my routine thinking process drains me much quicker.

8. AliceLily

I know what you mean. I was doing well with everything at the supermarket then the Pharmacy but after that I had just about had enough of being ultra aware.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  9. Mij

@Rosie when I got home I put away the cold and freezer stuff but let everything else just sit in the bag for one day before washing down. I was totally paranoid and exhausted.

10. AliceLily

Yes, I got sick of disinfecting my hands while out. I was even disinfecting the disinfectant bottle because I had touched it. It's so good to be home again.

11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Post copied from
    Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

That might just be the initial wave of cases from the cruise ships washing through, and they account for something like a 1/3 of all cases in Oz. We will have to wait another 10-15 days to be sure.

The current numbers in intensive care are okay (not high) at the moment, and that is a number that is harder to get wrong and so is probably a better indicator of where we are at.

You don't have to actively decontaminate everything.

Anything that is not perishable (i.e. doesn't need to go straight into the fridge or freezer), and you don't need to use immediately, can just be left sitting somewhere safely out of the way (e.g. spare room) for 3-4 days to let the virus deactivate naturally.

No need to do any more work than necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2020
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Methylated spirits can be poisonous, depending on the denaturant used. In Australia it is illegal to use methanol (the original and highly poisonous denaturant) to denature ethanol. I think denatonium, an extremely bitter compound, is the denaturant of choice here.

Methanol is also readily absorbed through the skin. So definitely not good in any hand sanitiser either. :nailbiting:

Here's the twist on the tale of methanol: The original antidote for methanol poisoning is ethanol. Basically they keep you drunk for a couple of days. :party:

Of course, ethanol itself in sufficient quantities is poisonous too. Hence hangovers. :ill:

13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am already doing this. Its only the freezer stuff that is an issue for me.

ladycatlover and Sean like this.
  14. Mij

Freezing is a common method of preserving viruses in a laboratory setting and evidence from the WHO found the SARS virus can survive more than 21 days at 4C (39F) and –80C (-112F).

Therefore freezing is unlikely to inactivate the virus. When considering how the virus might survive in frozen foods, one needs to consider how food could potentially be contaminated in a food processing environment with the likelihood of direct contamination of food being very low.

https://www.achesongroup.com/covid-19faqs

JaneL, Michelle, Roy S and 1 other person like this.
  15. alex3619

In nature viruses can survive potentially for centuries, but not sure about RNA viruses, they are more fragile. DNA viruses do though.

Mij, ladycatlover and JaneL like this.
  16. alex3619

Cook it, and while waiting on oven dispose of packaging then wash your hands. That is what I do currently.

17. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure where you are but here in Northern Ireland/UK I understand that this is about keeping people 2 metres apart. Although my experience is that when your passing in isles etc. then sometimes the 2 metres is not obeyed.

Noticed a UK (English) TV program last night where the police were checking that those in queues outside stores were 2 metres apart; checking with the stores security staff that the 2 metre rule was being applied.

Interesting about chicken---- not that I know it's out of stock I want to rush out and buy it!

I've noticed the queues were long when I called at the store in the morning (8.30 am) but none in the evening (7pm). Guess the downside is there's less available (bread etc.) in the evening!

Forbin, Simbindi, JaneL and 1 other person like this.
  18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

According to this BBC article, the best way to clean the outside of plastic or glass food packaging is diluted bleach.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52040138

JemPD, Perrier, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have been washing bags of things in the sink using washing up liquid wearing washing up gloves but then realised that bags of fruit (apples, pears etc) had holes in them. So I figured the easiest way was to remove the fruit from the bags into the sink wash them, rinse, and leave them to dry, bin the bag, and when the fruit was dry put in a new bag before putting in the fridge.

20. yME

yME Established Member (Voting Rights)

Having abused your lettuce with whatever, plant the root into a glass of water and give it a little sun. Perks them up and exposes it to uv. Probably true for other root vegetables.

we have been using Milton tablets - baby bottle steriliser type, 27 years past sell by date tho. Hope it works, but felt uncomfortable with harsher chemicals on the actual food.

Forestvon and ladycatlover like this.