Resources for help getting food during quarantine and safe handling of food

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Yessica, Mar 18, 2020.

1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm beside myself, what on earth is the point of my trying to manage without people coming in to help, & going to all the trouble of wiping my groceries..... if well meaning but foolish people are going to put me at risk by doing things like that. That's 2 people this week who have ruined my isolating policy. for goodness sake! :cry: now it's another anxious wait for a wk to find out if he's infected me.

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For over 25 years I've blocked up my letter box and have a mail box on the side of the house or beside the front garden gates (whichever one works according to the property I've lived in). Originally I did this because I had a dog that attacked the mail, but still prefer this arrangement even though I now only have cats. Sometimes this frustrates delivery people or neighbours delivering information leaflets to my house because they haven't noticed the mailbox, but I'm not going to change for their sakes. I rent my house, otherwise I would just put in a front door without a letter box!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  4. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We need delivery drivers to at least be wearing face masks - so hoping this will start happening in western countries.

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was a woman delivering brochures about help during the pandemic from the parish council this afternoon. She was walking around putting them through peoples letterboxes and handing them to any one out side their house. In front of my front door is a large bright orange trug with Post and Parcels written on it (where the postie puts my mail), but no, she ignores that and pushes it through my letterbox.

6. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wondering about UV and viruses.

so first whether UV is effective in combatting viruses?

and then whether sunlight might be significant in combatting viruses?

and then a specific example: I have a stainless steel kitchen bench which is in full sun (open window) for 6hrs a day. Is this likely to have any effect other than better drying?

let me know if this is answered elsewhere.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  7. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am also eager to know if sunlight 'cleans' items. Here in Montreal, spring is just starting to show her lovely face.

8. JemPD

yes i'd like to know that too

9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I remember @Sean mentioning this before in one of the covid threads.

I'm sure I heard something elsewhere i.e. not on S4ME about the effect of UV on coronavirus but can't think where now.

Subtropical Island and Sean like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

UV (and fresh air) definitely helps general disinfection, but how much it does for this particular virus is the question.

11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"
    All this means that using sunlight to disinfect surfaces is extremely problematic.

First of all, no one knows how long it takes to deactivate Covid-19 with sunlight, or what strength is needed. And even if they did, the amount of UV in sunlight varies depending on the time of day, the weather, the season, and where in the world you live – especially which latitude – so this wouldn’t be a reliable way to kill the virus. "

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200327-can-you-kill-coronavirus-with-uv-light

12. Invisible Woman

Couldn't read the whole article as you have to subscribe, says he or his team visited the home of an infected but didn't find live virus on any surfaces.

It's all very well but the flippin' thing is definitely spreading somehow. What's his explanation for the spread then?

ladycatlover, Perrier, JemPD and 2 others like this.
  13. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

It seems to me that some in the medical profession don't get basic notions of risk. He could be right but by the sounds of it he doesn't have a strong evidence base for his beliefs. If he is wrong and we followed his advice could lead to increased virus spread; if he is right then not following his advice leads to inconvenience in shopping. Given the relative impacts due to the risks and huge uncertainty it seems sensible to ignore his advice.

It is obviously good to explore transmission mechanisms but jumping to conclusions based on little evidence just seems dangerous.

Hutan, ladycatlover, Mij and 2 others like this.
  14. Invisible Woman

Yep. I find such public speculation unhelpful and irresponsible at the minute.

Since Friday we've started hearing that if people in the UK don't abide by the rules then they'll ban everyone from going out for exercise. Just because some, who think they're invulnerable, insist on flouting them.

I'm alright. I've got a decent garden. What about folk in the cities cooped up with kids in not very big flats?

Unless people have solid, provable facts then I do wish they'd stop saying things that will encourage the selfish and reckless to carry on being selfish and reckless.

15. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An infectious disease doctor said recently that the virus can (minimally) spread through vents in apartment buildings, and to keep a window open. This was a response to someone asking if high winds could spread outside, even with a 2 metre distance.

ladycatlover and Invisible Woman like this.
  16. JemPD

Someone has nicked my smoked salmon & green beans!:mad:

I just took delivery of some shopping... it was left in my front porch - some milk, smoked salmon (a favourite treat) & some green beans. I saw them in his basket as he walked up to the door. In the time it took me to get downstairs & give it a minute for his breath to be blown away, when I opened the door to bring it in the salmon & beans were gone :emoji_angry: I hope they were starving, if not I hope what goes around comes around.

ETA realised they took my oranges too... that I AM cross about!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:grumpy:

I am sorry to hear this and on behalf of most humans I apologise that this has happened to your shopping.

:hug:

mango, NelliePledge, ahimsa and 9 others like this.
  18. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Im so sorry @JemPD. That’s such a terrible thing for someone to have done. *hugs*

mango, NelliePledge, Daisymay and 5 others like this.
  19. JemPD

@Wonko @lunarainbows thanks I am pretty cross about it. fortunately it was only a few items so no crisis

20. Invisible Woman

How despicable. Sorry to hear that @JemPD :hug:

ladycatlover, Perrier, Mij and 2 others like this.