Scope Campaign: Disability Perception Gap

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by bobbler, Mar 18, 2023.

1. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Worth a read and a discussion of the points because it is a pertinent one for those with ME/CFS to be able to articulate and respond on.

https://www.scope.org.uk/campaigns/...YdTcKHsVE9LGfTnX943d45UGKeF6G6gT6pFTZY3FKgvXs

Some important points covered here. Big difference in % of non-disabled people think there is a problem with 'attitudes towards disabled people' vs disabled people. Which says it all in itself really.

And notes another point about how this means that getting/allowing access to disabled people in the workplace, and particularly the creative, media industries and on TV etc is important for perceptions.

These all hold for ME/CFS but with further added complications:

- [I think 'those in charge' did this somewhat] different severities are not always understanding of each others' different plight. Probably because we get fed bigotry by the CBT old style guidelines to 'gaslight ourselves'

- words are put into our mouths before we open them. Those who claimed to 'be expert' or 'want to help' did the equivalent of the bitchy person who whispers some sort of priming like 'don't listen to them/take it with a pinch of salt they are a bit deluded... motivation/perfectionism issue you know'

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Well put.