1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Short-Term Magnesium Therapy Alleviates Moderate Stress in Patients with FM: A Randomized Double-Blind Clinical Trial, 2022, Nicolas Macian et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Mij, May 18, 2022.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Patients suffering from fibromyalgia often report stress and pain, with both often refractory to usual drug treatment. Magnesium supplementation seems to improve fibromyalgia symptoms, but the level of evidence is still poor. This study is a randomized, controlled, double-blind trial in fibromyalgia patients that compared once a day oral magnesium 100 mg (Chronomag®, magnesium chloride technology formula) to placebo, for 1 month.

The primary endpoint was the level of stress on the DASS-42 scale, and secondary endpoints were pain, sleep, quality of life, fatigue, catastrophism, social vulnerability, and magnesium blood concentrations. After 1 month of treatment, the DASS-42 score decreased in the magnesium and placebo groups but not significantly (21.8 ± 9.6 vs. 21.6 ± 10.8, respectively, p = 0.930). Magnesium supplementation significantly reduced the mild/moderate stress subgroup (DASS-42 stress score: 22.1 ± 2.8 to 12.3 ± 7.0 in magnesium vs. 21.9 ± 11.9 to 22.9 ± 11.9 in placebo, p = 0.003).

Pain severity diminished significantly (p = 0.029) with magnesium while the other parameters were not significantly different between both groups. These findings show, for the first time, that magnesium improves mild/moderate stress and reduces the pain experience in fibromyalgia patients. This suggests that daily magnesium could be a useful treatment to improve the burden of disease of fibromyalgia patients and calls for a larger clinical trial.

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/14/10/2088#

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Interesting to note that the FM patients had normal levels of Mg in the serum and in erythrocytes at baseline. However, it's noted that magnesium can be released from the bones to maintain Mg blood levels.

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The formulation was ChronoMag in the study I posted.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29524192/

Abstract

While general recommendations are for 300-mg magnesium intake a day, an advanced low-dose formulation of magnesium chloride, ChronoMag®, was designed to provide 100 mg of magnesium element, thus decreasing the risk of gastrointestinal side effects and allowing long-term supplementation in health conditions related to low magnesium levels.

The present study aimed to compare magnesium release profile and bioavailability between this patented low-dose continuous-release magnesium chloride tablet (100 mg magnesium element) and a reference tablet at the usually prescribed dose (300 mg magnesium element). Magnesium release profile was determined by dissolving the tablets in solutions simulating the gastrointestinal tract environment.

A randomized double-blind crossover controlled trial of ChronoMag® versus reference tablet (3 × 100 mg magnesium element tablets) in 12 normo-magnesemic healthy volunteers was conducted to evaluate the bioavailability of the patented magnesium chloride tablets (two 50 mg magnesium tablets, once-a-day intake). While the reference tablet released 100% of its magnesium within 1 h of dissolution, release from the magnesium chloride formulation was continuous for 6 h. Cumulative urinary magnesium levels compared to those with the reference tablet were 76% (0-5 h), 89% (0-10 h), and 87% (0-24 h). Elimination after 24 h was fairly similar with both supplements.

Our results suggest that the new magnesium chloride formulation, providing continuous low-dose magnesium release throughout the gastrointestinal tract, improves absorption and bioavailability. This formulation conforms to the physiological mechanism of magnesium absorption throughout the digestive tract, allowing high absorption, and may improve gastrointestinal tolerance in long-term use.

hibiscuswahine, shak8 and Hutan like this.
  4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why study stress in FM patients---it seems harder to assess and too general a category. You can have a stressful situation that is separate from pain in FM. It may interfere with self-care, but it may not in itself be a pain generator.

I would like to see a study with this low dose, slow release MgCl in a larger cohort for at least two months, preferably six months (due to extended periods of flareups) and assess for pain, not stress. Pain is the root problem in FM.

They didn't mention any problems with diarrhea so there weren't any?

5. Hutan

I had to laugh at that. Stress-related trouble. Despite that, they had to screen people with FM in order to weed out those who did not score highly enough on the stress measuring survey.

The study is to see if this magnesium supplement reduces reported stress.

The study failed to show a difference for this branded magnesium supplement. The DASS-42 score was a measure of how much stress the participants felt. Both the treatment and the placebo arms started with scores of just over 30 and both ended up wth scores of just over 21.

Therefore, it seems pretty clear that the supplement did not reduce stress levels. Up to this point, the study was done well, with blinding.

But, this is a trial of a commercial product, so there was a post-hoc analysis.

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 12.24.01 am.png

And that chart in a. looks good, doesn't it? That's for patients that were rated as having mild or moderate stress versus the placebo. The dark bar is the baseline, and the light bar is at day 28. Patients with mild or moderate stress treated with magnesium had a much bigger reduction in stress than the patients with mild or moderate stress treated with the placebo.

But, have a look at chart b. Look at the effect size difference for all patients and for severely stressed patients. There's basically no difference between treatment and placebo. So, whatever is going on in the mildly/moderately stressed patients, there can't be very many of them. Also, the improvement in the mild/moderate patients is basically the same improvement that was seen in both treated and placebo patients, except for the placebo mild/moderate patients. We can't say that the magnesium treatment had a useful effect, it's just that something odd happened in what was surely a small number of mild/moderate patients in the placebo arm - on average, they didn't improve, unlike basically everyone else.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  6. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just say what's in the product for god's sake. Is it just mag. chloride? A quick google shows it seems to be mag. chloride with B6, so how can they be sure any effect is not due to B6...?

7. Hutan

I've tried to find out how many patients were in the post-hoc mild/moderate groups. I don't think the paper tells us that anywhere.
    Table 2 gives the characteristics of the mild/moderate and severely stressed groups, but the numbers are for the patients in both treatment arms together.

I mean, there were 37 patients in the magnesium treatment and 38 patients in the placebo treatment. So the 16 mild/moderate patients were spread over the magnesium treatment and the placebo treatment. Maybe there was only a handful of mild/moderate patients in the placebo group.

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 12.45.56 am.png

8. Hutan

The only secondary outcome that the authors claim showed any difference was in this same small strange mild/moderate stress category.
    [​IMG]

And, nope, that's not going to fly with me. Knowing that the total sample, spread between the treatment and the placebo was only 16, and knowing that that MM placebo group had a completely different response to the stress survey than the SS placebo group and the total placebo group, this result could easily be chance. And the before and after differences aren't very big.

I think it's irresponsible of the authors to not show that the sum of the mildly/moderately people in the magnesium treatment arm and in the placebo arm was only 16. If they are claiming a result, they absolutely should have given the n. I reckon they had to find something to keep the trial funder happy when it turned out there was no result above placebo, so they came up with the post hoc analysis.

Mij, Lilas, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  9. Hutan

I think this study shows that
    * not all people with FM score sufficiently highly on a stress survey to qualify as stressed. So, maybe FM doesn't equal "stress-trouble"

* people with FM can have normal blood magnesium, indeed in this trial most did (edit - and their blood levels marginally decreased after a month on the supplement, it didn't increase)

* the branded magnesium taken for a month had no impact on reported stress levels

* the branded magnesium taken for a month had no impact on reported pain levels.
    Yeah, it's actually worse than I first thought. They had a whole range of pain measures, and cherry picked the one single finding from the small aberrant post-hoc sample.
    Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 1.34.14 am.png

Have a look at the Brief Pain Inventory - Pain severity row.
    Have a look at the All patient placebo column - there was an improvement from 5.7 to 5.1.
    Now look at the mM Mg treatment column - there was an improvement from 5.7 to 5.1

Even in this cherry picked example, it wasn't that the mildly/moderately stressed people responded to the magnesium more than the average placebo effect. The difference was because the people in the small placebo treatment subset reported getting worse.

Have a look at the total sample for the Fibromyalgia Impact questionnaire. People on the magnesium improved by 4 points, people on the placebo improved by 9 points. The difference at day 28 was significant (I'm not sure if they compared the change or the absolute values). But, whatever, a significant result - the placebo was better at reducing the impact of fibromyalgia.

10. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, under the chart for (b): The squares represent the effect size (variation in the DASS-42 value) and the whiskers represent its 95% CI limits . I initially looked this up as I wondered whether it was some sort of ave + standard deviation in which case median vs mean etc would have been relevant.

In this circumstance the line up and down from the box is confidence limits ie error margin or where this really could actually sit. And if you look, for the mild/medium group the line is much longer, which would normally 'go with' smaller numbers in that group and/or greater variability in scores across them.

BUT am I right in reading that it is the 'Pl' ie placebo which is the one that is standing out 'above' the other plots (with the bottom of its CI limit line where the top of the line is for the rest). Which seems strange. Like the placebo was stressing them out.

I even looked up to see what the placebo was: lactose - is there any chance that is something that could have contributed to stress for some in that group? I don't know why the milds and not the severe if it is.. Am I being strange in thinking this is an unusual choice of placebo for such a condition?

I just did a quick google to see how much could be in a pill(the methodology doesn't say anything else for the placebo), and didn't get much. But when I googled differently I found the following which used 25mgX(typo) 25g lactose pill vs 1g glucose placebo in a study to see if they could identify lactose intolerance (by breath 4hrs later): https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/5/1653/pdf

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Mij, hibiscuswahine and Hutan like this.
  11. Hutan

An interesting thought @bobbler. Yes, lactose does seem like an odd choice for a placebo to me. Against the idea that it is that that is causing the mild/moderate stress placebo treatment group to worsen
    1. the amount (two tablets) is pretty low
    2. the people in the severe stress placebo treatment didn't worsen, they improved as much as those given the magnesium treatment. Likewise the placebo group (all of them, both mild/moderately stressed and severely stressed) on average didn't worsen, and in fact improved as much as those given the magnesium treatment. The confidence limits around the total placebo group were tight, suggesting there were just a few outliers affecting the result in the mild/moderately stressed post-hoc group.

Mij, hibiscuswahine and Milo like this.
  12. bobbler

Sorry just amended typo above - it was a 25g ie gram pill used in the lactose intolerance experiment (not 25mg, which I keep still automatically typing by mistake). So it is feasible that at one pill could contain enough to trigger a breath test - and this was repeated over 28 days.

or maybe even 2 50g pills were given based on it was 2 pills given for the magnesium I assume they might have matched it (as they note that the placebo pills were 'identical to the magnesium tablets): "Patients were randomized to receive a 28-day treatment of either oral Mg (Chronomag®, Mg chloride technology formula) 2 tablets of 50 mg once a day (batch number EU1701), or an oral placebo (lactose)"

Table 4 notes: "Concerning drug tolerance, 30% of the patients in the Mg group and 31% of the patients in the placebo group reported minor gastrointestinal disorders (abdominal pain, diarrhea, etc.) during the study.
    Finally, regarding compliance with the dietary recommendations, no deviations were reported."

2. Is my puzzle too - I mean there are many reasons that are feasible, and probably yes it is the group being too small (an unconfirmed proportion of 38 individuals in total in placebo) and no checking for/explaining of strange events that mean it looks 'anomolie-like' rather than an effect of the magnesium. So it could have been all sorts of things happening in someone's life in the 28days. And in such small numbers it wouldn't necessarily balance across conditions.

e.g. There is also the timing as another 'what!' factor, given they are measuring stress and what we know about covid around that time and likelihood of someone in the trial having someone close being badly affected by it: "This study took place from April 2019 to May 2020. The study was organized into 4 visits: an inclusion visit, randomization and initiation of treatment (D0), an end-of-treatment visit (D0 + 28 days, (D28)), and a follow-up visit (D0 + 84 days, (D84))."

So it doesn't matter, and given they had checks for 'adverse events' then maybe these would have been dealt with if either were the case. I'm just being nosy really then noting any unusual methodological choices.. given the placebo change raised by eyebrows too.

hibiscuswahine likes this.
  13. Hutan

In this magnesium study, the unit of magnesium in the tablet was mg, as in a total of 100 mg in two tablets (50 mg x2), or 0.1 g. A standard '0' size capsule can hold about 0.5g of powder, so at most the daily lactose dose was 1 g.

In the lactose experiment you refer to, they talk about 'lactose loading' and a dose of 25 g of lactose, delivered in a solution that participants drank, not pills. Therefore, I think it's really unlikely that the quantity of lactose in the placebo of the magnesium study had any effect; it was just too small.

Yes, I think chance events in a very small cohort probably explain the odd result. There is another possibility - that the blinding was somehow broken in some or all of the people given the placebo and in the mild/moderate stress category. The product being tested is a branded one, with money to be made if the product can be promoted as having scientific evidence to support its use. We have no evidence to suggest that blinding was broken, deliberately or otherwise, of course, other than what the authors did when there was no positive result in the primary outcome. They did a post hoc analysis, they did fail to disclose the low number of participants in the post hoc group of interest, and they did present the results as a success of the magnesium treatment rather than an anomalous result for the placebo treatment. They also cherry picked a positive result for a secondary outcome, and presented it as supporting the use of the magnesium product without noting the substantial evidence in their trial against that conclusion, including a significant negative result.

Mij, hibiscuswahine, Trish and 3 others like this.
  14. bobbler

Agreed. Post-hoc, particularly with small numbers and grand conclusions, is basically 'fishing for effects' in the hope of tenuously linking them to what you might want to believe.

hibiscuswahine, Wonko and Hutan like this.
  15. Hutan

The question is, how can we somehow make the authors accountable for their selective use of the data and try to stop papers like these being used to promote products? There's so many of these problematic papers, and we have so little energy. We review papers a bit like other people do the morning crossword - it's sort of a fun mental exercise. But, what then?

There seems to be some sort of forum for discussion of papers embedded in this journal. But, without knowing how influential the journal is and how the comment facility works, it's hard to know if it's worth using limited energy to set out the concerns. Not having any standing in a research institution is also a problem, one that makes providing comments on some papers impossible.

Mij, hibiscuswahine, Trish and 2 others like this.
  16. Hutan

I found that Chronomag is produced by Alliospharma in France. The researchers are also from France.