1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Sitting up straight does not prevent or treat back pain, study finds"

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Dolphin, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...vent-or-treat-back-pain-study-finds-1.4462419

I don't know of course how definitive this study really is/these comments really are.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2021
  2. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very true, kind of makes sense too because sitting period isn’t good for spine etc, since humans never evolved to sit like we do all the time now.

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone considered pain killers to treat back pain?

Slightly more expensive than sitting up straight, but, especially in light of this 'revelation' more effective in 'some' cases.

I know, too out there, too unconventional for medicine to even consider.

Kirsten, DokaGirl, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My husband has suffered from back pain for over forty years. He refuses to take painkillers, however he does do exercises he's been taught by physiotherapists over the years and also uses an exercise bike at a setting which makes it difficult to turn the pedals. He also walks several miles about 4 times a week. He tells me that if he takes painkillers it means that he moves more freely which sounds good - until the painkillers wear off and he's then in far more pain than he was before he took the painkillers in the first place. So he refuses to take them.

I must admit I wouldn't control pain the way he does. I need my painkillers.

shak8, DokaGirl, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mild shock

No. Way. What about happy thoughts, though? What about happy thoughts?!

shak8, DokaGirl, JemPD and 2 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Study with meaningless methodology shows that studies with meaningless methodology cannot be trusted - or does it?

I seem to remember that there was a study that showed that people with osteoporosis who did extension spinal exercises had fewer fractures leading to kyphosis, and that those doing flexion exercises had more than those doing none! Which makes quite a lot of sense if you think about it.

Mij, DokaGirl, TrixieStix and 3 others like this.
  7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But my Mom definitely said, "Don't slouch!" Now what do I do? :);)

Arnie Pye and Trish like this.
  8. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sitting straight helps the neck a bit with supporting one's heavy head. Less strain.

DokaGirl and Trish like this.
  9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the study itself:

Notions of “optimal” posture are loaded with meaning. Perceptions of sitting posture among asymptomatic members of the community
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2468781220306159?dgcid=coauthor

A prior review from 2007 by one of the authors:
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17711060/

And the press release:
    https://www.ul.ie/research/news-centre/news/university-limerick-study-shows-‘proper’-sitting-posture-does-not-prevent-back-pain

Given the study, this conclusion isn't generalisable to people with back problems.

Michelle, FMMM1, Dolphin and 2 others like this.