Sleep Assessment in Long COVID Clinics: A Necessary Tool for Effective Management 2023 Khosla et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

As we adapt to SARS-CoV-2, it has become apparent that the acute illness is not the only threat from this virus. Long COVID has emerged as a potentially disabling condition with multiple varied symptoms. We propose that querying patients about their sleep may allow for the assessment of a sleep-related disorder that is amenable to treatment. In addition, hypersomnolence is a prominent feature and may mimic other organic hypersomnias; therefore, inquiring about COVID-19 infection in sleepy patients is suggested.

Paywall, https://cp.neurology.org/content/13/1/e200079

Hutan, Wyva, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if we will see variation in sleep issues over time in Long Covid as we can do in ME.

For me hypersomnia was a feature of the early stages of my ME or after significant relapses, however over time various disordered sleep patterns and/or insomnia also can develop.

livinglighter, Mij, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got a sleep test when I was being evaluated for ME. It was totally normal except I couldn't sleep much in the lab.

4. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I'm still in that early stage when this happens for some people. I remember someone with the same early hypersomnia mentioned on this forum that for him it turned into insomnia after about ten years. It is weird hearing about these experiences. A bit like sitting on death row not knowing the date of your execution.

livinglighter, RedFox, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hypersomnia for me the first 11 years and then insomnia for the next 2 years.

Now sometimes I'm not sure if I slept but remember dreams so I must have slept.

RedFox, alktipping, Wyva and 2 others like this.
  6. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm 4 years in. It's been a consistent non-24 pattern and sleeping 10-12 hours, with minimal trouble sleeping besides sleeping at inconvenient times.

Mij, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.